We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip from Bar Harbor to Boston

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
485 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Trip from Bar Harbor to Boston

We will be spending 4 nights in Bar Harbor for our annual summer vacation along with another family. Children range in age from 6-13. We plan on leaving Bar Harbor in the AM and stopping at the Penobscot Narrows Bridge and Observatory, Camden Hills State Park, LL Bean in Freeport, and then spending the night in Portland before continuing on to Boston for 2 nights. Does this make sense? What are we missing?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,817 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip from Bar Harbor to Boston

Sounds like a good plan to me....

The kids might also get a kick out of Ertha, a huge three-dimensional roatating, revolving model of the earth, located at the DeLorme Mapping Company in Yarmouth -- just a few miles south of L.L. Bean via I-95 or US Rt 1.

http://www.delorme.com/about/eartha.aspx will give you more info.

If you get into Portland early enough, you might also consider the short ride out to Portland Head Light lighthouse in Cape Elizabeth....oldest continuously operating lighthouse on the Atlantic seaboard....great views...super photo-opportunity, and located in a huge park where the kids could burn off some energy before dinner.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
14 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip from Bar Harbor to Boston

That makes sense. You might also consider Boothbay Harbor to add to your stops along the way to Boston. It's a neat little harbor town with tons of kid-friendly stores, restaurants, attractions, etc. It's a little bit off the beaten path (south from Wiscasset, which is itself off the beaten path), but you guys might enjoy it a lot.

I'd also suggest that you rethink staying in Portland for the night. Nothing wrong with Portland, but there's so much going on nearby in Maine that is, in my opinion, more interesting/exotic/different. Portland is a fine place, and definitely has several hotels and restaurants to choose from, and I understand that you may be looking for a more metropolitan experience after your stay in Bar Harbor. However, it might be worth looking into the Kennebunk/Kennebunkport area or somewhere like that on the way to Boston because that typifies the Maine experience. Again, that's if you're not looking for what Portland offers, which is a more urban experience.

Have a great trip! This is a great time of year to visit Maine!

Edited: 14 June 2011, 00:15
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip from Bar Harbor to Boston

The Penobscot Narrows Bridge is located right next to the old Ft Knox stone fort. It has lots of dark tunnels and passage ways to explore. You need a flash light to go through some of them. My kids loved it.

In Portland, there are the Portland Sea Dogs which is a minor league team for the Boston Red Sox. Low prices to get in and lots of fun for the family.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
485 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip from Bar Harbor to Boston

I thought Portland was a good place to stop after a long travel day. Also, I thought it was close enough to Boston to start out early and have a full day of touring. I wasn't really planning on doing much in Portland other than eating and sleeping.

Does this make sense?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,817 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip from Bar Harbor to Boston

Portland makes great sense if you just want a place to "eat and sleep" on your way from Bar Harbor to Boston. Also will provide a greater variety of lodging and dining choices than some of the smaller communiities on the southern-Maine coast, where one-night-stays can be hard to come by at the height of the summer season.

Also offers a very easy ride to Boston if you avoid the morning commuter rush into Boston....

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
485 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip from Bar Harbor to Boston

Would leaving te hotel at 9 allow us to miss rush hour into Boston?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,817 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip from Bar Harbor to Boston

Yes.....for the most part, at least in my experiences, the morning rush hour is primarily people who need to be "at work" no later than 9:00.....so leaving Portland at 9:00 should put you well behind them by the time you get to Boston.

8. Re: Trip from Bar Harbor to Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor