We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to BBQ in Bar Harbor/Acadia

New York City
Level Contributor
215 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Places to BBQ in Bar Harbor/Acadia

We'll be staying in Bar Harbor next week and would like to make a BBQ for the kids one night. We have our own disposable BBQ but are wondering where we'll be allowed to use it. The hotel mentioned Bear Creek Picnic Area in the park, which could be an option but is inconvenient because as I understand it, it's just inside the park on the one-way road and will require us to make a full loop (we'll be at Thunder Point just before dinner and can't switch the order due to the tides) just to get there. Any other options?

conn
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to BBQ in Bar Harbor/Acadia

no promblem just get off the loop road and drive back on a local road if you don't want to drive the whole loop road. there are exits avaiable from the loop road just study the park map

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,875 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to BBQ in Bar Harbor/Acadia

Other than re-doing the Loop Road, you have two options. To get back to Bear Creek, take the first right that you can after leaving Thunder Hole. That will be Otter Creek Road. Take that to Rte. 3, turn right at the stop sign to head back toward Bar Harbor. After you pass the Tarn, there will be a road to left--the Sieur de Monts park entrance. Follow the signs to the Loop Road; Bear Creek PA is only a short way.

There is another picnic area of the park much closer to Thunder Hole---the Fabbri picnic area. It is located between Otter Creek Road and the Loop Road and can be accessed from either. From Otter Creek Road, there will be a left furn into the Fabbri parking lot; from the Loop Road, there will be a right turn.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to BBQ in Bar Harbor/Acadia

After reading your post, I feel the need to comment that even if you time the tide just perfectly, Thunder Hole may not be thundering. Many people are often disappointed when they get there because they've built up their expectations too high. I love Thunder Hole anytime of the day. I always find it beautiful and I love the waves crashing into the rocks even when they are not spraying 10 feet into the air. I just wanted to prepare you because it sounds as if you have a pretty rigid schedule and I didn't want you to be disappointed.

Another great spot is the Seawall Picnic Area. It is a little bit of a drive because it's located on the other side of the island but it's great for grilling. They also have built in fire pits with grates.

Northern NJ
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to BBQ in Bar Harbor/Acadia

Seawall! Seawall!

My husband and I got married there 4 years ago and is the most beautiful place. There are bathrooms, picnic tables and views. Make sure you go on a clear night/day so you can see all it has to offer. I am so jealous!

Bar Harbor, Maine
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to BBQ in Bar Harbor/Acadia

another good spot for BBQ on MDI is at the Pretty Marsh Campground off Rt 102 on the western side of the island. Very quiet, great sunsets and they have some picnic tables and grills set up under the trees.

6. Re: Places to BBQ in Bar Harbor/Acadia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor