We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bar Harbor to Canadian Border

Raleigh, North...
2 posts
Save Topic
Bar Harbor to Canadian Border

While on vacation in Bar Harbor, we would like to drive to the Canadian border and cross on foot - as our rental car will not be able to cross the border. Any suggestions?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bar Harbor to Canadian Border

It is a 2 1/2 hr drive from Bar Harbor to Calais, where there is a border crossing. So you park your car somewhere in Calais, walk across the bridge to Canada and then what? You will need your passport to re-enter the U.S. What are you planning on doing? How long did you plan on staying?

You will be in the town of St. Stephen NB, home of Ganong Chocolates. It is a very small town, with a few restaurants, shops etc.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,768 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bar Harbor to Canadian Border

If the object of your trip is just to say you've been to Canada....Calais is as close as any other option.... And, as KC noted, St Stephen, New Brunswick, is a nice little community, but doesn't really have a lot to offer folks crossing the border on foot unless you have a specific "walkable" destination in mind.... Guess you have to ask yourself if being able to say you've been to Canada is worth a five-hour round-trip drive over a road that has several sections in need of repaving or reconstruction,,,or at least they did the last time I was down that way a year or so ago....

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
937 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bar Harbor to Canadian Border

I have only ever driven but can you walk across the bridge from Lubec to Campobello Island? I seem to remember that a lighthouse (Mullholland?) is just off to left there.

Raleigh, North...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bar Harbor to Canadian Border

Thanks to all for the information. I think we are going to try Lubec to Campobello Island with a visit to the lighthouse and FDR Park.

Fresno, CA
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bar Harbor to Canadian Border

May I ask the OP why they cannot take their rental car into Canada? We are also renting a car and driving into Canada via Vermont to Montreal. I have asked the rental company if there are any restrictions and they have said there are not. I am wondering what restriction would prevent you from taking your rental car into Canada and back. It may not pertain to our situation, but then again it might. Thanks for your feedback.

6. Re: Bar Harbor to Canadian Border

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 23:19