We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bar Horbor Vacation

Geneva New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bar Horbor Vacation

My wife and I are going to Bar Harbor this July for a week for our 30th anniversary. We are planning on staying at the Bar Harbor Inn and one of our trips is on the ferry to Nova Scotia. I'm getting conflicting reviews from people on voth topics. Any locals that can give me the scoop on either?

1. Re: Bar Horbor Vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2005, 23:25
Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
643 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bar Horbor Vacation

Oh the Bar Harbor Inn is without a doubt an excellent choice. You'll be located right in the heart of all the activity of Bar Harbor. The Inn is lovely and the restaurant is first rate. When my husband and I go to Bar Harbor for dinner we usually go to the Reading Room at the Inn or Gaylens on Main Street (make your reservation at Gaylens ahead of time and request porch seating - if its a warm evening you'll love it) another "fun" restaurant for lighter fare (burgers and such) is Geddy's Pub. You'll enjoy yourself very much in Bar Harbor, there are numerous shops within easy walking distance to browse through. Bass Harbor is lovely but completely on the other side of the island. All depends on what you are looking for. The ferry to Nova Scotia is nice for a daytrip, I took visiting friends on it for the first time a couple of years ago. I would rate it as just OK, you can't really go outside and there really is nothing to do once you get over there. My friends had wished after the fact that they had just stayed in Bar Harbor and spent more time in Acadia. If you are looking to get out on the water, you might talk to the Inn about helping you arrange a whale watch or a schooner cruise around the Bar Harbor area. Maine in July can't be beat! Hard to believe it right now with the 5 degree temps outside. :-)

Portland, ME
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bar Horbor Vacation

Hi all - I grew up in Ellsworth. If you don't have reservations at the BH Inn yet, make them now! It's very popular. And I agree with Ms. Dragon - the ferry is good if Nova Scotia is your destination and you're going to travel on from there and see more of the island. But it's a high-speed ferry so you can't go on deck; it's not a pleasure cruise. I agree, stay in BH and spend your time seeing Acadia National Park.

Happy Anniversary! Enjoy!

High Ridge, Missouri
Level Contributor
1 post
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bar Horbor Vacation

We will be there on May 5-7. I think we will stay at the Bar Harbor Inn. It is the start of a 3 week trip down the coast to Kitty Hawk,NC. Coming from Missouri - to Gettysburg - to Bar Harbor.

Buffalo Grove...
Level Contributor
41 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bar Horbor Vacation

Hi Radar. My hubby and I are going to Bar Harbor to celebrate our 30th too. We plan on going whale and puffin wathcing and renting bikes to tour Acadia Park. We are staying at the Wonder View Inn because the price is right, the on site restaurant is listed with the chamber of commerce, the rooms look really nice with balconies that face the water. We were thinking of taking the ferry to Nova Scotia too but friends that have gone there said that there's nothing much to do there once you get there unless you travel up to Halifax. So, we are staying put in Bar Harbor and will explore there. I see you are from NY. Well, I'm an former New Yorker now living in the Chicago NW suburbs for the past 7 years.

Happy Anniversary to you and your wife. BTW, check out Foddors for more info. It helped me make some decisions on where to go and what to do once there.

Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor