We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Niagara-on-the-Lake...
8 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay?

Hi...We are driving to Maine the first week of October and are looking for a quaint, quiet cabin on the ocean front .

We want to tour the area, but want a place to call home.

Could someone please offer recommendations based on experience?

Thanks and we look forward to our visit.

Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

My wife and I are looking for a cabin on the ocean also. Never stayed at a B&B but for some reason, do not have a strong desire to. It just seems like I would be staying in someones grandmas old house that smells like mothballs.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

That's just a completely ridiculous statement about B&B's. There are over 30 B&B's in Bar Harbor and while a B&B may not be your first choice for lodging, I doubt any one of them smells like mothballs!

Look at vrbo.com for a rental house.

There are several properties with small cabins. Visit the Chamber of Commerce website at www.barharborinfo.com.

Centereach
Level Contributor
170 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

I agree, a blanket statement like that can give B&B's a bad impression. I have stayed in many B&B's on the east coast and have never had a bad experience. The owners who run them take pride in their establishments.

I have met great people and have had some wonderful breakfasts.

Give it a try, you may like it !

Niagara-on-the-Lake...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

Hello,

My original posting was only asking for advice on where we can stay when we visit Maine.

It was never intended to bring up a debate on B&B's. That could be a separate posting. I still believe I'll receive some helpful information.

Thank you,

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,580 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

72MGB, I feel your pain. Your question was high-jacked. I'd try posting again, not in just the Bar Harbor forum, but in the general Maine forum. Title it "quaint, quite oceanfront cabin". You might have a hard time finding that, though. The suggestion to look at vrbo.com was a helpful one.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay?

I did give you some helpful advice on where to find rental homes and cabins. Read the second paragraph of my post.

Bass Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
246 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay?

Try acadiamagic.com or acadiachamber.com, the Southwest Harbor/Tremont Chamber of Commerce web page for listings on the quietside of Mount Desert Island - assuming that you are interested in the Bar Harbor *area*. You might also give some thought as to whether your choice needs to be oceanfront or whether waterfront, like on the harbor, will work as well. At this late date and backing up to Columbus Day, expanding your search might yield a better result.

Have a great vacation and Happy Planning.

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay?

The Samoset in Rockland Maine is oceanfront and a nice venue; close to restaurants. shopping museums. Quaint/oceanfront are not going to be available after Columbus Day. . Capt Lindsey in Rockland is a fabulous B&B. I've stayed at B&B's throughout the states; no mothballs, no granny's..just great hospitality

Niagara-on-the-Lake...
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay?

Lovingbarharb,

I did appreciate the link to vrbo.com. Thankyou!

Enough said anout my post...time to move on.

10. Re: Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 15:18
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor