We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie to Maine

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
24 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Newbie to Maine

I am coming up on Sunday for the week and have so many questions...where to begin....

1) we plan to hike/bike in the park, and plan to pack lunches in a backpack. Are there problems with bear? I only ask because we have issues in my area that we have to be careful.

2) can you only view lighthouses from the water? In reading this forum they seem inaccessible by land. Would like to do a "lighthouse trip" if possible.

3) best kayaking outfit? I kayak on a regular basis and do not need instruction....which offers the most time on the water?

4) I noticed an ad for a winery...is there more than one? If so, are they nearby?

Thanks!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie to Maine

No problems with bears. I doubt there are any bears on the island. You can view the Bass Harbor Lighthouse up close. It is located on the Southern tip of the island about 30 minutes from the village of Bar Harbor. Most of the kayak companies offer guided trips. I think Aquaterra offers a four hour trip out in Frenchman Bay. I think this might be the most time on the water since they launch right from the dock downtown. You could also rent a kayak from National Park Kayak and take it out on Long Pond. It's a huge lake that is absolutely stunning. Then you could set your own pace. There is Bar Harbor Cellars that is affiliated with the Atlantic Brewing Company. I have never taken the tour so I don't know too much about it.

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
896 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie to Maine

I agree with lovingbarharbor...Kayaking on Long Pond is beautiful, especially in September. They have a good selection of kayaks, you walk them across the street where you launch and you're off. It's a nice size lake to explore. If it's warm enough you can stop and swim, there's wildlife and it's really magical. Shop around for sea kayaking services; as far as I know all of them are "tours" but some won't let you solo at all; some will if you can show you know what you're doing. Bass Harbor lighthouse is on the island but depending on where you're coming from there are many others along the coast that are worth a visit if you're in the area.

Enjoy yourself. It's a great time to visit.

PS- Love your picture of the falls.

Bass Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbie to Maine

The Western Bay, on the western (quiet) side of the island, has great kayaking. You can launch from Bartlett Landing, Pretty Marsh, Seal Cove, and Indian Point. There used to be a company in Lamoine, just off island, that rented kayaks by the week. Otherwise, I recommend Maine State Kayaking in SW Harbor.

The best wine in Maine is made by Bartlett Winery (no relation to Bartlett Landing). The winery is in Gouldsboro, a little less than an hour from Ellsworth.

NY
Level Contributor
24 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newbie to Maine

Thanks! Very helpful. I am so excited (except for he 9 hour drive). One more question...(don't hate me) what is the best lobster place for a non lobster eater? I want my friend to get the experience but I want to enjoy my dinner too!

taughannock falls are awesome:)

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newbie to Maine

I would choose Poor Boy's Gourmet or Gayln's in Bar Harbor for a dinner with lobster and lots of GOOD non lobster choices. The lobster pounds offer some non seafood choices, but they are usually a hamburger or chicken fingers.

Every restaurant usually offers some sort of lobster so you're friend won't have to worry about not getting enough! Have fun.

6. Re: Newbie to Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 June 2012, 22:05
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newbie to Maine

I am guessing that the OP has come and gone, as this post was started in Sept. of 2011.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newbie to Maine

Not to worry, CB -- with the self-promotion in Item 3 of the newest message, wouldn't be surprised if Trip Advisor montors decide to remove the posting for violating TA Forum Guidelines against advertising and self-promotion....

9. Re: Newbie to Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 04:17
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor