We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bar Harbor Inn or Harborside Hotel and Marina?

ATL
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bar Harbor Inn or Harborside Hotel and Marina?

I will be staying in Bar Harbor from July 1st - 8th. I have narrowed my choices down to these two hotels. Which one should I choose?

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
970 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bar Harbor Inn or Harborside Hotel and Marina?

At one time or another, I considered both. Chose neither. Not that there's any problem with either of them. They are both nice. But other options seemed to provide better value to me. I emphasize "to me" or I should say "to us."

If you are looking for cache value, then probably the BH Inn has more history and more cache. But if it's cache you're after, why not consider the Asticou Inn over in Northeast Harbor. A beautiful place. Truth in posting: I didn't choose it either.

Mentioned in this post
Asticou Inn
Asticou Inn
259 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,888 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bar Harbor Inn or Harborside Hotel and Marina?

Well, let's see. How would one make a choice like that? I guess one could always use the theory that one gets what one pays for. It looks like the Bar Harbor Inn wins on that one. Their most expensive room is $369.

But maybe the Harborside should get some points for making it difficult to find their prices. Their oceanside king room seems to go for $310.

But then the Bar Harbor Inn/Mizzentop has them both beat. It looks like their most expensive room is a whooping $405 a night. And they have a gourmet restaurant on site.

In contrast the Asticou Inn's most expensive room is a mere $305. One might as well stay at the Bar Harbor Tides, luxury waterfront four bedroom inn. You get breakfast served on fine china. The best room in the house is only $395.

Or maybe you had a more specific question for the forum on what things you value in accommodations so that the choice could be made personalized for you.

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor Inn
Bar Harbor Inn
1,790 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Harborside Hotel & Marina
1,205 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
ATL
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bar Harbor Inn or Harborside Hotel and Marina?

I'm looking for the best location - period. Price is no problem. I just want to walk to everything in the downtown area. I'm also considering the Balance Rock Inn as well.

Mentioned in this post
Balance Rock Inn
Balance Rock Inn
489 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,888 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bar Harbor Inn or Harborside Hotel and Marina?

The hotels you speak of are all equally good locations for getting to things. The Balance Rock Inn might be the most private location. The Harborside Hotel would be the least private. Lots of people will be walking past the hotel and swimming pool to get to the whale watch boats. And the Harborside will be right in the middle of the July 4th fireworks congestion.

All told, I'd either go for a two story room in the one wing of the Bar Harbor Inn or stay at the Balance Rock Inn. Note that the Balance Rock Inn accepts dogs, if that is a consideration.

Mentioned in this post
Balance Rock Inn
Balance Rock Inn
489 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
1,205 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor Inn
Bar Harbor Inn
1,790 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,888 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bar Harbor Inn or Harborside Hotel and Marina?

Yup. I'd say the Balance Rock Inn would be perfect. You can get a suite for $625 a night in July.

Mentioned in this post
Balance Rock Inn
Balance Rock Inn
489 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Boston...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2,224 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bar Harbor Inn or Harborside Hotel and Marina?

Funny you asked this as I did all my research and was faced with the same question... same 2 hotels for a trip in August 2008. Which did you choose? How was it? What advice can you offer in this regard? Thanks!

Lake Jackson, Texas
Level Contributor
88 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bar Harbor Inn or Harborside Hotel and Marina?

We stayed at Harborside in June snd I DO NOT recommend it. The location was good, but our experience was not, especially for the price. There was old candy and popcorn all over the floor from a previous guest, and old newspapers, dirty dishes and dirty towels on our balcony. We called for assistance but no one ever came to clean up. It was also very noisy, especially early in the morning. We found it to be a poor value and we will stay elsewhere when we return.

Mentioned in this post
1,205 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Boston...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2,224 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bar Harbor Inn or Harborside Hotel and Marina?

Thanks for your comments. This hotel is a strange one. There were all the posts about the construction problems... which are now quieting down as they seem to be just about done with their remodeling. Then there are the more recent posts that say this place is fantastic... with a few, like yours, that point to poor management. With their excellent location (if you want to be within walking dist to town rests, pier and not looking for tranquility that is) it would be a nice choice if they had their act together. The attraction vs. Bar Harbor Inn is that their rooms seem more up to date/modern with the makeover... while the BHI seems to perhaps need some remodeling of their rooms/bathrooms, but also has a great location/views and better service. Doesn't appear to be one STANDOUT hotel in Bar Harbor.

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor Inn
Bar Harbor Inn
1,790 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bar Harbor Inn or Harborside Hotel and Marina?

Well, there's always Las Vegas...

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,888 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bar Harbor Inn or Harborside Hotel and Marina?

You could try the Four Diamond accommodations at The Bluenose Inn in the Mizzentop building. Indoor luxury pool, fine dining on site, etc.