We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jordan's Pond Restaurant

Winchester, Kentucky
Level Contributor
62 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Jordan's Pond Restaurant

This place looks like a must do for lunch in the park. How is the food?

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
945 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jordan's Pond Restaurant

The food is okay... not great but okay and a little on the pricey side. I always go there for the popovers and tea or lemonade. Now that's is great stuff. I would highly recommend at least stopping by to sit out at a table on the lawn and having popovers with the strawberry jam and a glass of fresh made lemonade. And the view is fabulous to boot - Jordan Pond, the Bubbles in the background. can't be beat.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jordan's Pond Restaurant

Would agree with paflyfisher -- the real attraction at the Jordan Pond House isn't the quality of the food -- nothing wrong with it but not truly exceptional either -- it's the location and the food offerings.... The tea-and-popovers offering is a throw-back to the true hey-day of Mount Desert Island as a summer destination for the nation's economic elite -- Rockerfeller's, etc. They traditionally enjoyed afternoon tea as a major social event....

Jordan Pond House has been offering tea-and-popovers (or lemonade) for decades...

That tradition, combined with the absolutely stunning scenery looking out over the pond to the surrounding hills and mountains, is what makes the Jordan Pond House one of the "must-do" attractions for most people visiting Acadia National Park for the first (or second, or hundreth) time.

Marathon, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jordan's Pond Restaurant

While I agree with previous posts on the food in general, you'd be missing the point here if you didn't try the Jordan Pond lobster stew--a truly fabulous (tho simple) soup of cream, butter, sherry, paprika, and of course delicious Maine lobster. I visit here for it every trip to Bar Harbor, and of course for the wonderful scenery--all of Acadia has a unique vibe. Remember the spring chicken soup as being good too, but have never gotten anything but popovers & lobster stew since I tried my sis' on my first vist here many years ago. Enjoy! (Lemonade is indeed exceptional too.)

Winchester, Kentucky
Level Contributor
62 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jordan's Pond Restaurant

Thanks. I'm really going to show my ignorance here but what is a popover?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jordan's Pond Restaurant

A popover is a baked concoction made of eggs, flour, milk and a bit of salt.... but, because they're cooked in a very hot oven, usually in oversized muffin tins, you end up with a puffy, airy, slightly chewy cross somewhere between a very airy muffin and a chewy, almost crusty, raised doughnut. They're usually served hot from the oven -- and folks like them with just butter, various kinds of jams or jellies, or other spreads. Somewhere between a snack and a dessert, I've heard them also described as being similar to Yorkshire pudding, but since I've never tried that, I can't vouch for that comparison.

Popovers can become addictive, but are definitely worth trying at least once -- and if you've never had one before, Jordan Pond House is the place to start!

Marathon, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jordan's Pond Restaurant

I think comparison to a very airy brioche is also useful--think dinner roll gone puff pastry, lol....

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,607 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jordan's Pond Restaurant

Here's a photo of the Popover at Jordan's Pond House.

yelp.com/biz_photos/Rcw4ddO9_qQoszg9awrE5Q…

Marathon, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jordan's Pond Restaurant

Great photos--tx! Makin' me homesick for Jordan Pond, lol...

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
88 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jordan's Pond Restaurant

I love the popovers and raspberry lemonade at the Pond House. Sitting outside enjoying lunch after a long hike can't be beat. But that said, the food is certainly overpriced for what you get. If you are okay paying for the experience and not the food, you'll be okay.

And I've learned to make my own popover's. Those w/ Stonewall's blueberry jam are the just as good as the ones at the Pond House.

10. Re: Jordan's Pond Restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2013, 10:21
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor