We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time Maine visitor needs advice for July family trip

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Paw Paw, MI
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
First time Maine visitor needs advice for July family trip

We've never been to Maine (or east coast) and our family of 3 has no clue where to start in planning a trip to Maine for the week of July 4th. 12 yr old daughter loves to swim, husband seeking good golf courses, I'm seeking some fun shopping, family activities, pretty drives and nice, mid-priced lodging. A pool is a must. We don't need to stay in same spot all week. We don't mind busy towns by day, put like peace and quiet at night. Appreciate any suggestions on "must do"s. Thanks.

scituate, ma
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First time Maine visitor needs advice for July family trip

Maine is a fairly large state, and you could go crazy trying to hit all the highlights so I'll tell you a few of my favorites.

I'd base myself mid-coast, around Camden. Camden is an incredibly beautiful town, with a perfect village green, and picturesque harbor. Some of the best B&Bs and Inns in Maine are here, as well as some family choices - try the Camden Riverhouse Hotel. From Camden you can hike (or drive) to the top of Mt. Battie for an incredible view of the mountsins, islands, and bay. You can take a day sail on a Windjammer, visit one of the islands.

Or you may want a full service resort such as the Samoset for golfing, swiming, etc. -but a little pricey.

There's a Comfort Inn in Belfast with wonderful views of the water, and a great location for exploring more of the mid=coast and Acadia area.

Swimming in the ocean is cold, but there are many inland ponds and lakes with beautiful beaches.

Another good base is Bar Harbor, and Acadia National Park. The scenery is unbeatable! and plenty to do. If you are taking the time to come to Maine, make sure you see as much of the natural beauty as you can.

Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time Maine visitor needs advice for July family trip

If you choose to stay south, you may want to see if you can rent a place on one of the lakes... sebego, long, cystal. These are very family friendly and a strait shot into Portland and less than an hours drive from freeport.

There are many other options, but it depends on where you want to be. I've only listed area in the south , as that's where most people from away congregate, but there are tonz of options. If you answer a few questions we can direct you a little better.

Are you flying in or driving? If flying where are you flying in to.. Portland or Bangor?

What do mean by "mid priced". It's different everywhere?

What type of accomodations are you comfortable in? (oddly enough, I'm less comfortable in a B&B than I am in a campground or a cabin)Along those same lines are you willing to bring your own linens as some summer rentals don't supply them?

Let us know where your at and if you have any other questions as you peruse other posts and we'll be sure to steer you in the right direction.

Paw Paw, MI
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time Maine visitor needs advice for July family trip

We're driving, from Michigan. Don't want B&B, comfortable at hotels, resorts or cottages. Would love to find place $150-200/night. Willing to bring own linens. Thanks.

Michigan
Level Contributor
297 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time Maine visitor needs advice for July family trip

alice for 200 a night you can find some really nice places. look at vrbo or cyberrentals .com my sister and I (total 8) are renting a cabin on the bay (near Bar harbor) for 2000/week (or 1000 per family) one thing that is lacking are pools--the climate just just not support the expence I gues

Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time Maine visitor needs advice for July family trip

If you are driving... depending on if you are coming across from Quebec or from NH, you should stay in western or southern maine. Or both. You can certainly make it to other areas of Maine, but from the West to the East is another 3-4 hours driving.

I good place to consider may be right in Naples there is a "resort" type of place. With golfing and kid stuff. It's on a lake too. There are many lakes and golfing areas in western maine. The more south you go, the less 'rural it will be. Moosehead and Jackman can ba a BLAST, but maybe for the more seasoned Maine traveler, as they can seem extraordinarily rural. Although for the 4th of July Moosehead/Greenville area will have enough people around so that you won't feel isolated though. But again, the further south the more you'll run into folks.

Do you have a Map of Maine? Gazateer?

You shouldn't have a problem finding a nice place in that price range. Although the "pool" may be a stretch. Unless you book into a chain hotel. We have so many lakes and ponds that pools are somewhat rare-er than in many other places.

If you want to go further north, head to Acadia. It will be the very beginning of high season but, it's still great!!! You will not run out of things to do if you like to stay active or if you want to drive around and do some shopping (BarHarbor, SWHarbor, Ellsworth). You MAY be able to find a hotel with a pool there too, as the ocean will be to cold to swim in that far north. (actually many do swim in it... god bless'em...40-50 degrees!!!)

Paw Paw, MI
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time Maine visitor needs advice for July family trip

What is the name of the resort in the Naples area that you metioned? Thanks for all your advice.

wjs
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time Maine visitor needs advice for July family trip

The Samoset Resort near Camden might be a good choice in terms of a combination of beach, golf, swimming pool, nearby galleries and shopping. If you do stay there, eat in town Camden instead of at the resort -- their food is dreadful -- lots of good choices nearby though. You could do a few days there, and then drive down to the Portland area. It is a beautiful time of year here. Keep in mind that the ocean water is really cold by lots of people's standards in terms of swimming, so a pool can be helpful if your daughter wants to get lots of swimming in. There are also lots of choices in the Kennebunkport area. Traffic will be heavy along the coast over the 4th. Another option is to spend some time near Lake Sebago, which is quieter, especially at night.

Hope that helps!

Paw Paw, MI
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time Maine visitor needs advice for July family trip

Thanks for the tips. Have you personally stayed at Samoset? I've read such mixed reviews on this resort.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time Maine visitor needs advice for July family trip

The Samoset is a modern resort like you could find anywhere. If I was going to spend that kind of money, I would rather stay in something that says "classic Maine" like the Colony in Kennebunkport.

The Cedar Crest in Camden, is a modest family motel with a pool. See http://www.cedarcrestmotel.com

If you want to spent all week in one spot, I would advise you to go to Acadia. My brother-in-law the golfer loves playing the courses there.

If you want to split between two locations, you might go to Camden and Kennebunkport. The Colony Hotel has a huge (salt water?) pool and a putting green. That is a classic old style hotel right on the shore with a terrific breakfast buffet included in the room rate.

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time Maine visitor needs advice for July family trip

This is a great trip with a 12 yr. old. My daughters love Maine and we have stayed in Ogunguit for the great beaches,easy beautiful walk on the Marginal way,unigue little shops and some very good restaurants.We also like the drive up to Bar harbor. We stop in Freeport for a little l.l.bean atmosphere and head on up to Wisscasset for the very best lobster roll at Red's shack on 1A. I haven't stayed on the lakes but Acadia is so extraordinary that I would say do not miss it if you are willing to drive the distance to be in Maine it is a very special feeling to witness sunrise on Cadillac Mountain. I would call or google the local chamber of commerces to get a schedule of events for the 4th to see what is happening that would appeal to your family. Even if you decide to park yourself in one area for a majority of your vacation I would definately spend at least one or two nights in ogunquit,you can see alot of the area including kennebunkport,york and kittery[for shopping),hit the beachesand then head north pit stop in freeport,Wiscasset and then on to bar harbor.

Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor