We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balance Rock or Barharbor Inn?

cheyenne
Level Contributor
969 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Balance Rock or Barharbor Inn?

Any insight on these two. Seem to be equally priced, one is much smaller than the other and higher rating. Location? I have never been there, so know nothing about the area. Thank you!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,193 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Balance Rock or Barharbor Inn?

The two hotels are not very far from each other at all. Both have a nice view out to Frenchman's Bay. As you noted, the Bar Harbor Inn is much bigger and it has a restaurant. The Balance Rock Inn might be a bit quieter with a nice, private pool. But either one is very conveniently located to anything you might want to do in Bar Harbor or Acadia National Park.

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Balance Rock or Barharbor Inn?

I stayed in the Balance Rock Inn a few years ago, and have been recommending it ever since. The grounds are spectacular, it's very romantic, and has the highest quality linens I've ever slept on.

cheyenne
Level Contributor
969 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Balance Rock or Barharbor Inn?

Thank you both for the posts, I think they both look wonderful in their own way, one seems small and quaint, the other is larger. We are unsure as to whether to book or take our chances in early June, we are afraid to book and then it rain the whole time and we are stuck! Decisions!

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Balance Rock or Barharbor Inn?

Do you want a hotel atmoshere or a B&B atmosphere? The Balance Rock has a "boutique" feel, more intimate, maybe a bit more glamouous, the BHI is bigger, more people, but also very nice. Neither one is anything to sneeze at, tho there were posts last year about one bldg of the BHI being less desirable. If I remember correctly, that bldg has no water view.

I seem to recall that the Balance Rock is set back more from the water, whereas in the upper story on the BHI you open your patio window drapes and you feel like you are right at the water.

I think it might get down to comparing actual rooms. At the Bar Harbor Inn a large number of rooms there will have excelent water views. I think, too, that both have rooms with no view or not so good views.

If you wait until the last minute, you'll probably still get a room, but maybe not one with a water view if that's important to you.

Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor