We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery Shopping

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, Michigan
1 post
Save Topic
Grocery Shopping

My family and I will be visiting Bar Harbor, Maine this month. We will be staying in downtown Bar Harbor. Anybody know where we can get groceries for the week someplace with reasonable prices. Also is there a place to enjoy fresh lobster other than a sit down restaurant. Any suggestions on whale watching tour boats. What are the chances for sea sickness? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
905 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery Shopping

Hannafords is a supermarket on Cottage Street in Bar Harbor. Reasonable prices and a good selection. If you want to cook we got lobster from RATS on the other side of the island. Off Rt 102 between Somesville and Town Hill. There is a sign by the side of the road. We went there 3 times for lobster, mussels and clams which we cooked at our camp. There are also a few lobster pounds on the island. We like Thurstons in Bass Harbor. We thought they were pretty expensive this year considering the price of lobster.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery Shopping

There is a walk up window down at Stewman's Lobster Pound in Bar Harbor where you can order a lobster roll.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,860 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery Shopping

The whale-watch boats in Bar Harbor are all owned by the same company. As to sea-sickness, people do get sick. A lot, of course depends one's own physiology. Beyond that, you <are> going out onto the North Atlantic, which definitely has swells--and when in the near vicinity of the whales you will be stationary or moving very slowly, which tends to accentuate the problem. The boats are catamaran style and designed for stability as well as speed, but once out away from land, they still are pretty small stuff.

If you want to cook your own lobster, there are several places that sell lobster, includiing the one mentioned above. Parsons Lobster, on Eagle Lake road is another. I guess that Thurston's, which we really enjoy, doesn't exactly fit my notion of a sit-down restaurant. It has two levels of seating, both open to the air and overlooking Bass Harbor. You go through the line, order what you want, say which level you will be on, pay your bill, and when your lobsters are done, the servers will find you.

Another place for getting a "walking-around" lobster roll is Downeast Deli, near the corner of Main and Cottage. I'm not a lobster-roll aficionado, so there probably are other places that have escaped my notice.

4. Re: Grocery Shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 12:15