We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping Recommendations near Bar Harbor

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Camping Recommendations near Bar Harbor

We are coming in from Michigan for several days starting on July 4th and are looking for interesting (and reasonably inexpensive) places to stay within an hour or two form Bar Harbor.

Can anyone recommend a campground with sites overlooking the ocean? We would be willing to pay extra to make sure that we're guaranteed an ocean site. We'll be staying with 2 teenage boys in a tent.

(We will also be staying in a hotel during the trip, but we would like a couple of days tent camping.)

Thanks.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping Recommendations near Bar Harbor

Gonna have access to a boat? If so, look at Warren Island State Park, state.me.us/cgi-bin/…

We have some camping enthusiasts who take part in the forum; one should speak up soon. In the meantime, you might want to see what's available at www.visitmaine.com/category/acc_camping.php

Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping Recommendations near Bar Harbor

There is one on the island called MDI Campground and it sits at the top of the sound. They are more expensive than most campgrounds but they get it because of the location... me... i understand that the nights would be much cooler in a tent at the top of the sound... but it's still on my list of campgrounds to stay in this summer. I haven't stayed there yet but it does look nice. There are a few others that are run by the park or the friends group but, I can't say I'd suggest them. Even they are too rustic for my taste (which is saying something). My favorite on the island is Quietside Campground, which is not far from the water.. sea smells and sounds), but it may be a little low key for your teenagers. Another that I really like and offers great tent sites (but it is a large campground with rv'ers too) and is great for families is Bar Harbor Campground right on rt.3, about a mile from the park entrance. They do not take reservations (many in maine don't) it's a first come kind of thing. But I like that one too. Good Luck!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping Recommendations near Bar Harbor

Thank! I appreciate the input, we'll definitely check these out.

Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor