We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bar Harbor portion of 12 night Vacation - thoughts please

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bar Harbor portion of 12 night Vacation - thoughts please

We are excited to start planning this summers vacation. Teens are 18 and 16. This may be the last summer vacation together for awhile, because internships, etc. will probably start for our daughter next summer.

We have 12 nights. Our must visit overnights are Bar Harbor, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, and possibly, Montreal.

Dates are July 6th to July 19th. Originally I was looking at a full circle loop, from Portland, ME or Burlington, VT, but found it is is cheaper to fly into one of those airports and leave from the other, doing a partial loop. Flights into either airport on the 7th arrive late morning and flights leaving both airports on the 19th is around 5:30 pm. Coming from Chicago.

Was thinking, 1 night Montreal, 4 nights Mont Tremblant, 3 nights Quebec City, ending with 4 nights in Bar Harbor.

Is this a good mix? 2 of us are partial to nature/adventure travel, 2 to cities. We would do one or two outstanding museum-which one/s?

Would you tweak the number of nights at each place differently?

Any other recommendations? Can you think of a great stop/s along driving routes, especially between Quebec city and Bar Harbor?

Thank you for helping me to finalize the plan so I can start booking!

Looking at West Street Hotel in Bar Harbor. Thoughts?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,768 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bar Harbor portion of 12 night Vacation - thoughts please

Might want to think about adding a second night in Montreal if you really want to see and experience the city.... as I read your post, you'd arrive late morning, have the afternoon and evening to see the city, and leave the next day (after one night there)? Unless there's a special rason for four nights there, I'd be tempted to lop a night off Mt Tremblant and take another day in Montreal -- although am the first to admit I've never seen Mt Tremblant -- only know that we thoroughly enjoyed three full days in Montreal several years ago... Four nights in Bar Harbor sounds about right... assuming one is the arrival night after driving down from Quebec City, two full days and nights for Bar Harbor and Acadia (more would be nice, but at least you can cover the magor "to-do's" with the time you have), and then the night before you have to get on the road to Portland for your late afternoon flight.

Great stops on your drive from Quebec City to Bar Harbor? When you consider that driving time from Quebec City to Bar Harbor is about six hours, not including stops for gas, meals, rest rooms or U.S. Customs, I'd focus on getting to Bar Harbor as quickly as you could to get the lay of the land and a quick visit to the Acadia National Park Visitor Center under my belt that day -- will really save you some time the next morning if you can get-up-and-go to whatever Acadia attraction you want to see first. If you really want a stretch break somewhere along the way, watch for the Arnold Trail roadside turnouts along US 201 between the Canadian Border and Skowhegan, which will give you some of the history of Benedict Arnold's march through that part of Maine to attach Quebec City during the American Revolution. Or, if any of the history buffs in the family are familiar with former Maine U.S. Senator Margaret Chase Smith, her library/museum in Skowhegan might make a good break. Be suer to leave Quebec with a full tank of gas and a good breakfast under your belt. There's lots of forested woodlands, and few towns, along US 201 between the US Border and Skowhegan -- although, last time I was up that way, there was a restaurant or two and gas available in places like Jackman and Moscow.... and lots of great scenery as the highway follows the river....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bar Harbor portion of 12 night Vacation - thoughts please

Mainer - Thank you for the information and your suggestions! We will add a night to Montreal and I am undecided about dropping a night in Mont Tremblant. As much as we have enjoyed "on the go" vacations in the past, I am looking to slow down relax more on this one. Also, based on your information, heading directly to Bar Harbor will be the best for our family. I am looking at the West Street Hotel for our stay there. Any thoughts on that? Thank you again.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,768 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bar Harbor portion of 12 night Vacation - thoughts please

West Street Hotel will definitely put you within walking distance of everything downtown and the free Island Explorer shuttle bus service. Can't comment on the property itself -- have never stayed there, or even been inside. Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park are day-trip distance for us -- don't remember the last time we stayed anywhere down there overnight.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,066 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bar Harbor portion of 12 night Vacation - thoughts please

I live in Bar Harbor and watched them build the West Street Hotel. But, like Mainer, I've never been inside. It is definitely well-located and the Irish Pub on the first floor is gorgeous. I think I would go with whowever will give you the better deal: West Street Hotel, Bar Harbor Inn, or Harborside. They are all quite nice and near each other. The West Street Hotel will give you access to the amenities of Harborside: pool, tennis courts, spa.

Ormond Beach...
Level Contributor
103 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bar Harbor portion of 12 night Vacation - thoughts please

We loved Atlantic Eyrie Lodge. Stayed there 5 nites in Sept '12 could of stayed there a month. Cloce to Bar Harbor harborside about 5 min drive ( not counting looking for parking) we loved the waterfront. Also very close to Acadia. When in Bar Harbor check out the Thirsty Whale Bar and Grill and be sure to go to Trenton Bridge for Lobster better than any lobster shack recommened in Travel and Leisure magazine. When checking out Atlantic Eyrie Lodge ask for a fourth floor room or top floor from 407 and down to end room with a cornor window. Great breakfast room and very clean. Doesn't look like it from outside but has the best views ever. Enjoy !!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bar Harbor portion of 12 night Vacation - thoughts please

Thank you all for your input! I am sorry it has taken me so long to respond, I have been busy updating the plans and making reservations!

We did add one night in Montreal, so.... flying to Burlington, drive to

Montreal for 2 nights (Old town hotel, bike tour, and walking in different neighborhoods).

Next, 4 nights in Mont Tremblant (rafting, hiking, fly fishing, Blues fest, Via Ferreta)

drive to Quebec City for 3 nights (tour lower and upper old towns,museum, markets, nice dinners.

Last stop, Bar Harbor for 4 nights, arriving late afternoon. We did reserve with West Street Hotel. 1st night cadillac mountain sunset (if possible), maybe shore line path.

1 day- Park Loop Rd. (I think great head and Gorham mountain hikes look good for us), Improv. Acadia at night

1 day- AM kayak and PM Somesville, SW Harbor and Bass Harbor for dinner.

1 day-Schoodic Island for 1/2 day, Looks like taking the ferry and bikes could be fun. Afternoon could be park loop again (finishing what we didn't complete the first day) or possibly the lulu lobster boat.

The final day we will leave early to drive to Portland and leave around 5:30, making a few stops along the way.

We want to be able to utilize the bar harbor club as part of our stay at the West St. hotel, so not really packing the itinerary. Also very worried about my sea sickness with a boat trip and will have to play that by ear.

How's it looking? Thanks for any additional information!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bar Harbor portion of 12 night Vacation - thoughts please

Just received my mapadventures Acadia map in the mail. Excellent map! I could study this thing for hours!

Edited: 06 January 2013, 00:10
8. Re: Bar Harbor portion of 12 night Vacation - thoughts please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 07:16