We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for romantic but rainy weekend in Bar Harbor

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for romantic but rainy weekend in Bar Harbor

Dear forum,

My husband and I are celebrating our anniversary this weekend in BH (May 5-8). We are staying at the Harborside Hotel. I just checked the weather forecast and it calls for rain all weekend.

Any ideas for things to do?

Thanks

Tatiana

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for romantic but rainy weekend in Bar Harbor

I've never done it, but there are supposedly some fun movie theatres, one called Reel Pizza, where you can get pizza while you watch the flick.

There are museums on the island: Abbe (native american; Bar Harbor), Wendell Gilley (bird carving; Southwest Harbor).

Pick up copies of the local paper and look for events going on. Drop in on a Bean Supper or Contra Dance if you want a real Maine experience.

Shopping is pretty good in Bar Harbor and Northeast Harbor. In Ellsworth I like The Grasshopper Shop, LL Bean outlet, Cadillac Mountain Sports, Richard Parks Furniture.

There is an internet cafe on Cottage Street in Bar Harbor.

Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
158 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for romantic but rainy weekend in Bar Harbor

We have just returned from a walking vacation in England and although it rained and poured almost every day, we still were out walking and climbing along with a lot of other people. Acadia National Park has wonderful carriage roads that you can walk on even in the rain, so if you have the proper wet weather gear, including hiking boats, you can still be outside on a rainy day. I think that you can even do a few easy hikes such as The Bubbles, Great Head and maybe even Gorham and Bear Brook, depending on how wet it is. The views most likely won't be great but it is still beautiful and great to be outside. Then after you get back and dry off, you can have a wonderful romantic meal at one of our great restaurants in town.

Harrison, Maine
Level Contributor
202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for romantic but rainy weekend in Bar Harbor

Tatiana,

The weather report shows that Friday and Saturday are going to be nice, rain coming in Saturday night into Sunday then depending on which of the three reports you listen to it may clear up Sunday morning. Bring a warm jacket with you the breeze has been cool and strong coming off from the ocean lately.

Remember this Maine if you don't like the weather wait a minute and it will change.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,462 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for romantic but rainy weekend in Bar Harbor

I'd listen to the previous poster. Bar Harbor, Maine is the only place I've ever lived where the forecasts of rain don't always come true. Right now while the forecast says we are to have showers this morning, the sun has been shining brightly since it rose at 5:15.

If you do encounter rain and fog, a fun thing to do is get in your car and drive to Schoodic Peninsula which is a detached part of Acadia National Park, way across the bay from your hotel. The drive there is somewhat interesting in that you will be in rural Maine, far from the madding crowds. Once there you come upon an area where the ocean slaps the bedrock of the earth. It's fun to just sit and watch that for awhile. You will encounter small towns to have lunch in along your way.

Your hotel is quite close to the tidal bar, exposed for about four hours around the time of low tide, on which you can walk over to Bar Island. That's fun. It's a great view from the hill on Bar Island toward town and the mountains of Acadia.

And there is always breakfast, lunch, and dinner to prolong if the rain does materialize. Lots of good places to eat in Bar Harbor, most of them (but not all) are open for the season. Last time I walked past the Internet Cafe, it was not yet open. But when it is, people spend whole rainy afternoons there because April, the owner, keeps board games on the antique tables in the front of the cafe. Have a latte and play Scrabble while watching the rain out the windows. They don't mind at all if you linger.

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
444 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for romantic but rainy weekend in Bar Harbor

if you go to the www.MDIslander.com website it has all kinds of info, places to visit, things to do and what is going on this week. It's the Mt. Dessert paper and is online every week, on Wed. Or Thurs. I check it out each week just to keep up on things til I get there!!! Try it.