We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quimby House for romance?

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Quimby House for romance?

OK, folks, here I am asking another question of those who know these properties and Bar Harbor.

We're looking for a long-awaited and much-needed romantic getaway, and have chosen Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park for the 5 days we've been able to carve out away from kids and sports activities and jobs.

Our choices are: Inn at Bay Ledge (in a cottage), The Maples (in the White Birch Suite) and Quimby House.

Each has its advantages: view and setting at Bay Ledge, convenience and comfort at The Maples, location and perhaps more privacy than a b&b at the Quimby. The decor at The Maples looks like it might be a little much for me -- I am not into country Victorian.

I'm leaning toward the Quimby, but their only availability is a room with a king-size bed on the third floor in a room on the side of the house. has anyone stayed there? is this a place that you'd want to stay on what amounts to a "honeymoon"? they have very few pictures on their Web site, so I can't really get a feel for what the rooms look like.

we both like the idea of being able to walk around at night, go for early morning walks on the Shore Path, find different spots for breakfast, easy access to the Islander (i suppose). We've never been to Bar Harbor, never been to Maine, but are wanting to do lots of hiking in Acadia and exploring some at night.

Thoughts welcomed (please!) our budget says $175/night or less, which unfortunately seems to prohibit any sort of waterview.

thanks.

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
447 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quimby House for romance?

I have stayed at the Quimby house, last year and I will be there again for 2 nights again this year. I stayed last year on the 3rd floor by request. It was a large room, beautifully decorated, not to foo-foo with the wild victorian patterns but in dark greens and wine colors. My room was in the front overlooking Cottage street, even with that location I was not bothered by street noise and this was in late July. They have sitting areas on each floor and outside decks that connect to all 3 floors. All the decks are quite spacious. My room had a large area with a sofa, chair, tv armoire, tables, desk and a small frig. and a king bed and nice size bath with another vanity area ouside the bath. As for romantic, I don't really know, but I do know the location is conveinent to walk anywhere in town, which I did in the a.m. & p.m. The walk to the harbor can be done either on the tree lined back streets or down Cottage Street. There are several nice places close by to eat. The innkeepers are very helpful and the lounge area on the 1st. floor is comfy and they have TONS of info on the area.I even requested the same room I had last year because it is so large. The night that I will be there again I requested 2 suites on the 2nd. floor because the family members I will be with would have more trouble doing the 3 flights of stairs. I don't know if this helps, but if you look up the reviews for the Quimby on this website you will get the views of others.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quimby House for romance?

I do not know anything about The Quimby House except its location, and I will say that it is a very long walk from the heart of downtown, or at least from the part of downtown that I'd want to be in if I were staying in Bar Harbor and trying to be "in town." I'd want to be close to Main Street and/or the town green. I was in Bar Harbor today and as I drove along Cottage Street (going away from Main Street and toward the Quimby House) I couldn't help but think that the Quimby House really shouldn't be considered "in walking distance" of town except for folks who really, really love walking.

Unless you are a very hearty walker, I think you'll be getting in our car to go to "town." If you'll call up the address on Mapquest, it looks to be at least ten blocks to the Shore Path. I don't know about you, but I sure wouldn't see myself "walk[ing] around at night, [or] go[ing] for early morning walks on the Shore Path" from The Quimby House. I'd be riding part way n the car.

Holland Avenue is a bit of a hike, too.

Suggestion that you target Main Street between Cottage and Firefly Lane as the center of town in terms of shopping, eating out, etc. and if you really want to walk everywhere, try to get within a few blocks of that. That's where I'd be fore ice cream every night. :)

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quimby House for romance?

The Quimby House on average between a 5 to 10 minute walk from the center of town (corner of Main Street and Cottage Street). It could be a bit of a walk to some people...but to most it really isn't that far at all.

Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor