We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation for young adults

Monroe, Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation for young adults

I will be traveling to Maine the week of May 22. My husband and I are in our late forties. My daughter is 21 and my son is 20. We will be staying in Freeport and Portland area for 2 nights. Than in Bar Harbor for 4 nights. Please suggest some restaurants and things that my children would like to do. Has anyone been to the improv in Bar Harbor? Also would like to know what is the Lobster pounder and best place to get it ( and how much it costs) Also lighthouses in the area that we can go to. Best whale watching tour, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
920 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation for young adults

Bar Harbor Whale Watching Co. starts whale and puffin trips on May 25.

ImprovAcadia (www.improvacadia.com) opens on May 26.

There are a lot of great lighthouses around Portland - Portland Head and Cape Elizabeth are two that you should see. There are others. Keep in mind, most Maine lighthouses are either still operational or privately owned. This means that you can't get into them. In many cases you can visit the grounds of the operational ones but that's about it. Some have museums and gift shops (Portland Head comes to mind). Around Bar Harbor, be sure to visit Bass Harbor Light in Bass Harbor on Mount Desert Island. The whale watcher boat can take you past other lighthouses offshore.

Depending on what your "kids" like, they may enjoy Rupununi's and Carmen Verandah (bar/restaurant with entertainment and games like pool, darts, etc). They also might enjoy Geddy's which has entertainment every night in season. I'm not exactly sure when it starts.

Most of these places have websites. Check them out.

This is a start. Enjoy.

California, Maine
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation for young adults

Are your kids athletic at all? There are two good climbing schools in B.H (Acadia Mountain Guides and umm Cadillac Mtn Sports?) who will take first timers on a safe, fun rock climbing experience.

I strongly recommend Diver Ed to anybody with kids between the ages of 4 and 14. Even at 20 and at 40 an afternoon with Eddie Monat on the Seal will be more relaxing and educational than an afternoon on one of those big old overloaded whale watching sardine cans.

See what's playing at the Criterion, get in line early and get Loge seats, have a drink and watch a movie in a really cool old Art Deco theater.

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation for young adults

Hi MomJ4,

You might want to check out www.visitmaine.com. This site offers a ton of info and/or links to accomodations, activities, and what's happening all over Maine.

Though I don't know Portland really well, I do know that the Old Port section is alot of fun and your kids will definitely enjoy it. There are lots of shops, restaurants, and galleries to browse.

A cruise of the harbor or out to one of the many islands for a short hike might be a fun activity everyone could enjoy.

A trip out to Portland Headlight is worth the drive with its spectacular setting high above the ocean. Pack a picnic lunch and bring some kites as it's perfect for those activities.

For Bar Harbor google their Chamber of Commerce and I'll bet it'll offer and/or list a calendar of events, activities, etc. for you to check out.

Wish I could help more but the areas you'll be vacationing in are not ones I spend alot of time in. Hopefully others will pipe in soon with more local knowledge!

Good luck and let us know how you make out :).

cozyharbor

Monroe, Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation for young adults

Thanks for everyone help. We just got back from Maine. The things we liked best were: Taking a ride on the Margaret Todd Ship, Going to Aracdia National Park, The Improv show above Jeanne's Breakfast Place, also Cape Elizabeth. Things that were a downer, Freeport shops close at 5 nothing else to do there. Went whale watching, but no whales were sighted, it was freezing cold half the ship was sick, very depressing. Went to Terrace Grille Lobster Bake was GREAT! When to the Reading Room at Bar Harbor Inn food was Great but Expensive. Stayed at Bar Harbor Grand Hotel on Main Street. Great Location. Stayed in Room 201 2 Room Suite Great for a family, 3 Large comfortable beds, 2 televisions, internet access. GREAT Wonderful Staff, Very Helpful, Extra clean rooms We had the Getaway package and it was a real value. Loved Maine want to come again, when the weather is warmer.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation for young adults

My experience exactly on the whale watch. Why I don't suggest them to anyone. Sorry.

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation for young adults

Hi MomJ4,

Thanks so much for reporting back! Nothing like real life experience and posts to help others decide where to stay and/or what to do or see :).

Sorry though about your negative experience re: Whale Watching. I think the best times to go are during late summer as the whales seem to be out more then. It's always wise to keep sea sickness in mind too when going out on a whale watch. Often you have to go WAY out and then you just sit on the boat while it rolls around over huge swells! Been there, done that, but fortunately never got sick.

You mentioned the Bar Harbor Inn's restaurant. It is wonderful isn't it? So is the Inn. It's where I stay whenever I'm up that way. Yes, it is expensive, but worth it!

Btw, you mentioned coming to Maine again. Where would go? Back to Bar Harbor or elsewhere? Just curious to see what areas/trips appealed to you.

Thanks again for posting. It was great hearing about your visit :).

cozyharbor

Bishop, California
Level Contributor
170 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation for young adults

Thank you so much for reporting back about your trip. We're going to Maine in September. I have not heard about the Improv, but I checked their website and I'm sure we will go there one night. Also, it was interesting to hear about the whale watch. I was hoping to do a boat trip to see the puffins. Has anyone got any thoughts on that or should we nix it?

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
920 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation for young adults

"Also, it was interesting to hear about the whale watch. I was hoping to do a boat trip to see the puffins. Has anyone got any thoughts on that or should we nix it?"

Wannabeguide,

First off I may be biased because we always visit Bar Harbor in September but September is a wonderful time to visit. When are you going? We'll be there for a week from 9/9.

Whale watching can always be a bit iffy. We have gone out with the Bar Harbor Whale Watching Co on their large catamaran and had a terrific time. They pretty much guarantee you will see whales if they go out. We have also had several years when we had trips cancelled for reasons such as fog, high seas, bad weather, etc. All I can say is that the catamaran is more stable than a regular boat but it still is going to sway on rolling seas. One thing you can count on is that it is going to be cold out on the water. I remember one year when it was 90F onshore. We layered fleece for the boat ride and still needed a blanket against the cold. That's just the way it is. The North Atlantic is cold period. That's also why no one in their right mind recommends swimming on Sand Beach although some will try.

Re: puffins. Check the BHWW website but I believe the whale AND puffin trips end in August. We have never been on a puffin trip in September.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation for young adults

Re puffins, the best place to get those cruises is way down east, where the boats have permits to land passengers on Machias Seal Island. There you are led to blinds where you can sit and photograph or watch puffins which are just an arm length away.

As far as I know there are two companies offering cruises, Bold Coast, see http://www.boldcoast.com/ from nearby Cutler, and Norton from Jonesport, who is farther away. See http://www.machiassealisland.com/

I took both cruises. I took Norton one year, got sick to my stomach (a combination of seasickness from having to travel such a long distance and diesel fumes) was disappointed that I didn't see many puffins, thought the tourguide was a little too crusty/gruff, and realized after research that I'd gone too early in the season. (I was so anxious to see puffins that I'd gone as soon as the season opened. Unfortunately, Norton had opened the season early, when the puffins were not yet nesting.)

So, I saved my money, went again the next year, but this time I waited until later in the season when the birds were actually nesting. The second time I went with Bold Coast, which I thought was soooo much better. First of all Bold Coast is closer, which means less on-water, and I didn't get sick. Second, I talked with birders and picked a time later in the season when the island was literally covered with puffins. Third, I simply thought that Capt. Andy was a superior tourguide. He was friendly, enthusiastic, and seemed truly concerned that everyone have a fun and educational experience. The minute we left the harbor he started pointing out lighthouses, harbor seals and other things to make the trip about more than just puffins. I recommend him 100%.

Monroe, Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vacation for young adults

We did go on Th Whale watching company catamaran. This was where more than 1/2 the ship was sick it was very depressing. It was very cold. We had winter coats, gloves, hats, scarfs, and blankets. We did receive free tickets for a future outing because we did not see whales and they guarntee you will or you do get free tickets that never expire. We did see puffins, I recommend if you go to take a motion sickness pill. (My daughter who gets motion sickness easily did and she did not get sick) The waves were 41/2 to 5 feet the day we went out. The crew explains the conditions before you go out and give people a refund if they decide it's not for them. The crew was great handing out motion sickness bags and cleaning up after passengers the whole time. The captain was very

informative and friendly. I think we just went to early in the season.