We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bar Harbo and Nova Scotia

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Bar Harbo and Nova Scotia

My wife and I are plannng our september vacation. We are thinking the following:

Sat, Sun - Bar Harbor

Monday - The CAT to Yarmouth. Mon, Tues, Wed, up the coast with most time in Digby.

Thur. back to Bar Harbo

Fri and Sat Bar Harbor

Sunday fly home out of Bangor.

So, is the trip to Nova Scotia worth it or just spend a week in Bar Harbor and let it go at that?

Thanks,

Bo

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bar Harbo and Nova Scotia

I think time spent in Nova Scotia is well worth it. From Digby you can day-trip to Wolfville, to Cape Split, Truro, and Halifax. Wolfville is a charming village with great B&Bs and restaurants. Cape Split has a wonderful hiking trail (start at Scotts Bay) that goes to a high point where you can see all of the Bay Fundy. Truro has a nice spot where you can see the tidal bore -- when the river changes direction as the tide comes rushing up. The Bay of Fundy has the highest tides in the world. Halifax is a big city with all the usual attractions.

On your way back to Bar Harbor, instead of the Cat, you could take the Digby/St. John ferry and drive back to Bar Harbor along highway 1. You'll see rural Maine in all its forested glory.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bar Harbo and Nova Scotia

I second bonniemaev's post. The key is to get out of Yarmouth as fast as you can. Nova Scotia is a beautiful province.

The Cat is the 21st century version of the ferry---much like being in a 747. If you want the old-time experience, then do take the Digby-ST. John ferry back.

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bar Harbo and Nova Scotia

Hi ohbo,

If you have the time while in Nova Scotia, drive to Cape Breton Island. This is where the mountains meet the sea and the drive along mountain tops looking out to open ocean are stunning. While doing the loop, check out the Keltic Inn or maybe even stop and have lunch there. It sits high up on a bluff, has beautiful gardens, and pretty views out to sea.

Also, keep in mind Nova Scotia is a huge and takes about 6 to 8 hours driving from Yarmouth where the boat leaves you, up to Cape Breton Island. When I went a few years back, I was shocked at the long distances between the different towns. For some reason I thought the place was alot smaller!

Another pretty area to check out is Peggy's Cove near Halifax. We went right around sunset and it was pure magic. The breeze was blowing, the lighthouse about to come on, and the colors of the sky and the way the sun hit the land were truly poetic. Yes, it's a touristy thing to do, but in my book was well worth it!

Have fun and let us know how the trip plays out :).

cozyharbor

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bar Harbo and Nova Scotia

ohbo here,

thanks for the tips. i had visited cape breton long ago and loved it, but it is too far off for this trip. as it turns out we are meeting some friends in bar harbor and will only have two days on nova scotia before taking the cat to portland. we may spend them both in digby or do one in digby and one in liverpool, but the ferry leaves at 9am so probably two nights in digby makes most sense. debate is to stay in town or to stay out on the spit in a couple of cabins. thanks for any digby information provided.

bo

5. Re: Bar Harbo and Nova Scotia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 08:16