We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will Memorial Day weekend be a washout?

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
170 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Will Memorial Day weekend be a washout?

I've been looking at the forecast for this weekend and I'm not liking what I'm seeing. My husband and I have been wanting to visit Bar Harbor/Acadia for years, and we're finally going tomorrow thru Monday. Unfortunately it looks like the weather will not cooperate. I wish I could postpone to a later date but like most rentals in the area, it is too late to cancel and I would lose a lot of money. So we'll just have to make the best of it. I guess I better pack my winter clothes and rain gear!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will Memorial Day weekend be a washout?

It definitely doesn't look good until Monday. But it is supposed to be raining right at this minute and actually it's quite pleasant, albeit chilly, out there. Think of it as a good chance to rest, relax, read a book, and eat good food. There will be breaks in the rain when you can drive the Loop Road. And the wind that is forecast will make the surf pounding on the granite shore all that more dramatic.

Maine
Level Contributor
883 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Will Memorial Day weekend be a washout?

On the positive side......the weather will keep away a lot of people so traffic should be lighter coming up from Mass. and crowds lighter once you get here.

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
761 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will Memorial Day weekend be a washout?

Another positive note is that it's keeping the black flies to a minimum. Bring WARM clothes. In the mid-coast temps are expected in the low 50s....cooler in Bar Harbor I'm sure.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will Memorial Day weekend be a washout?

Higher than normal surf -- less traffic en route -- fewer crowds in town -- shorter lines in restaurants... sounds like the makings of a great weekend to me.... If will only be a "washout" if you decide that's what you want it to be. Bring a sweater or sweatshirt to wear under your windbreaker and get out and see what Acadia can offer with or without the sunshine. We've taken some of our best photos on overcast or even stormy days.

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will Memorial Day weekend be a washout?

It'll still be nice in it's own way.... I love it when it's foggy! It'll give you more time to have some leisurely meals,, feasting on fresh, delicious, seafood! :)

6. Re: Will Memorial Day weekend be a washout?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor