We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat Tours?

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
upstate NY
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Boat Tours?

I (20) will be traveling to Bar Harbor with my mother (55ish) during the week of June 16th and would like a recommendation for which boat tours are the best. I've done a bit of research but there are so many options! We would prefer to just take one because of their high cost, but maybe would consider two, and we would ideally like to see the most wildlife possible.

Also I would like to know which tours sea sickness would be least likely on, as I would like to avoid being on a boat with seasick people at all costs.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat Tours?

The Whale Watch tours are the most expensive and the one most likely to have the most seasick people. You'll see whales, sea birds, and maybe seals, eagles and porpoise.

The Acadia Nature Cruise and LuLu's Lobster Boat are both about 2 1/2 hours, more gentle because they never leave the bay. You won't see whales, but you will probably see all the other wildlife mentioned above. These two are my favorites. You will definitely see the seals on both of these trips.

The Sea Princess is also a nice nature cruise off the southern end of the island. Same wildlife plus an osprey nest that is over 100 years old. This tour stops at Cranberry Island for about 45 minutes.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,840 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat Tours?

I think that the only tour is which sea-sickness is a reasonable probability would be the whale watch cruises---they go well off shore. The other tours stay fairly close to MDI. Diver Ed's Dive-in Theater is entertaining and informative and gives you the opportunity to see many of the marine species of this coast. Lulu Lobster boat provides a lot of information on lobster biology, lobstering, and the history of this area. I'm not as familiar with the Bar Harbor Nature Cruise, save to note that it also is well regarded. All three operate in pretty much the same area.

upstate NY
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat Tours?

have either of you gone on or heard about the 4 hr mackerel fishing trip? I do enjoy fishing and am wondering if its worth the half day and $90. Also, I could not find any other fishing trips except private charters, are there any other large group fishing trips? or is it possible to fish off a dock somewhere on the island without a maine fishing licence?

4. Re: Boat Tours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2014, 06:18