We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a sunrise trail?

Carol Stream...
Level Contributor
771 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a sunrise trail?

I posted this in the Acadia forum too.

My husband remembers reading about a trail where you go to see the sunrise. What trail would that be? Here's the big question....how early do the buses start running? or do we need to drive it? Going from July 3rd to the 7th.

Thanks

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,489 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a sunrise trail?

On July 5th the sun rises at 5:24 a.m. And, no, the buses do not start running that early.

I'm unaware of any trail called The Sunrise Trail. The best place to see the sun rise is from the top of Cadillac Mountain. It's about a 15 minute drive from Bar Harbor to the top of Cadillac. It is good to get there at least 20 minutes before sunrise in order to get the full effect of the sky changing colors before the sun pops over the horizon.

Carol Stream...
Level Contributor
771 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a sunrise trail?

bonniemaev, that must be it. We will plan on getting up there early to see it. Do you know if it's a popular....will we have to fight the crowds? We once did a sunrise in Hawaii and the roads there were packed!!! Thanks so very much, you have been most helpful with info with many questions I have :-)

conn
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a sunrise trail?

yes its popular but you can usually get parking space. most people just drive up and walk the easy summet trail. many do hike up from blackwooods campground that maybe what your husband is thinking about .

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,489 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a sunrise trail?

I agree with the snowman. You won't be alone up there. But the road will not be bumper-to-bumper and you will find a parking spot. If you would hike up from Blackwoods, you would have to start at around 3:30 in the morning. Believe it or not, there is some light in the sky at that time of the morning in early July.

Here's an insider tip: Instead of joining the other sunrise watchers, take the gravel fire road that is right next to the little gift shop and bathroom house. Walk just a short way from there and you will be at the actual summit of Cadillac. You might very well have it to yourself. My husband once shared the sunrise from there with only one small red fox, who really did appear to be watching the horizon for the sun. At one time, many years ago, there was a hotel up there called The Summit House. If you look around carefully, you'll see a few anchor pins from the hotel. You might also find the surveyor mark, a metal disk in the granite, noting the summit.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,489 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a sunrise trail?

Correction !! I must have been looking at the wrong month. I thought that was sort of late for the sunrise. The sun will rise in Bar Harbor on July 5th at 4:53. Sort of early. It rose this morning at 4:47.

Carol Stream...
Level Contributor
771 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a sunrise trail?

Thanks so much!!! Can't wait!!!

7. Re: Is there a sunrise trail?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2014, 06:18