We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!! Need advice to get from DC to Bar Harbor

Titonka
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Help!! Need advice to get from DC to Bar Harbor

Two 65 year olds wanting a good route from the DC area to Bar Harbor. Really want to avoid NYC and some of the other congested cities on I 95. We are planning this trip in middle September. Please someone send us a detailed route.

Thank You

Maine
Level Contributor
407 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!! Need advice to get from DC to Bar Harbor

Check out the post titled "Travel" by Silverado 2004 just before yours on the Maine forum

Edited: 20 June 2013, 02:21
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,866 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!! Need advice to get from DC to Bar Harbor

We, like you, aren't crazy about heavy traffic congestion in places like New York City... so, for our past few trips, have used the following route between Maine and D.C. (I have reversed the order to reflect the fact you're staring in DC and coming to Maine rather than starting up here and going south...).

From Washington, DC, take I-270 to I-70 in Frederick, Maryland

From Frederick, MD take I-70 to I-81 in Hagarstown, MD

From Hagarstown, MD take I-81 north to I-84 outside Scranton Pennsylvania

From Scranton take I-84 east to I-87 just west of Newburgh, New York

From Newburgh, take I-87 north to I-90 just south of Albany, NY

From Albany, take I-90 east to I-495 between Worcester and Boston Massachusetts

Take I-495 north to where it ends at I-95 north, just south of the Massachusetts-New Hampshire state line

Take I-95 north to I-395 in Bangor, Maine

Take I-395 east to US Rt 1A in Brewer Maine

Take US Rt 1A south to Maine Rt 3 in Ellsworht, Maine

Take Maine Rt 3 from Ellsworth to Bar Harbor

We generally like to take two days to get from Maine to DC.... and have had numerous good stays at a Hampton Inn in Middletown, New York (on I-84 just west of the junction of I-84 and I-87 near Newburgh, NY.

While this route is definitely longer than following I-95 north from D.C., it also is definitely more relaxing and more scenic,,,, much more enjoyable and less stressful....

port republic
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!! Need advice to get from DC to Bar Harbor

another alternative is 95 to garden state parkway north to the end then 87 SOUTH to the tappen Zee bridge

then Saw Mill river parkway north to 684 north to 84east to 90 e to 495 as above... you mostly miss NYC

Titonka
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!! Need advice to get from DC to Bar Harbor

Thank you so much---very helpful! We are from Iowa and want to do DC first and then up to Maine.

5. Re: Help!! Need advice to get from DC to Bar Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2014, 06:18