We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day in town- seeking unique ways to spend the day

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
one day in town- seeking unique ways to spend the day

Hello, we will be in town for one day in September on a cruise. We are looking for a few points of interest in town that might be overlooked like maybe a best kept secret location. I've read about the free Island Explorer shuttle into the park but with a cruise, I don't think we want to be herded onto a bus with a thousand other people.

We usually like antiques, wine bars, margaritas, art galleries and photography exhibits, and visiting historic cemeteries but I'm looking for something a little different for this trip. We are late 30's, fit and active.

Thanks!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one day in town- seeking unique ways to spend the day

Each Island Explorer bus only holds about 30 people, so there won't be a 1000 people. And you are not herded onto the bus, but rather you walk the three blocks down our pretty Main Street to the nicely landscaped Village Green park where the shuttle buses start, change, and end their routes.

You aren't going to see anything more unique than the stunning, rocky coast of Maine that is preserved for all of the nation as Acadia National Park. You could take the shuttle bus only as far as Sand Beach and then get out and walk along the coast to Thunder Hole. Or you could climb the Beehive trail from Sand Beach. Or do the Great Head trail, on the other side of Sand Beach.

Or you could take the shuttle bus to Jordan Pond and have tea and popovers on the lawn, a 100+ year tradition that started way back when women wore long skirts and men paddled canoes to have their tea on the lawn, provided by the farmer's wife who lived at the south end of Jordan Pond. That's certainly unique, although you won't be the only person doing it.

Highland Lakes, New...
Level Contributor
91 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one day in town- seeking unique ways to spend the day

Having been to all of the popular locations in the park, and on the island, if I had a few hours to spend and had to choose only one location, I would be going to Jordan Pond.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one day in town- seeking unique ways to spend the day

Although the park sounds lovely we were hoping to do something in town. Any ideas for that? We will be in a cruise and have a few other parks/nature themed events planned in other cities.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one day in town- seeking unique ways to spend the day

Bar Harbor is not really a city. It is a very small, coastal village. You won't find anything all that exciting or unique to do in the village. There is no "best kept secret location". We do have a native American museum, The Abbe Museum, on Mount Desert Street. And there are the Tiffany windows of St. Saviour's Church. There is the walk across a sand bar, uncovered for 90 minutes before and after low tide, to Bar Island. But really Bar Harbor is simply a small town that provides lodging and restaurants for visitors to Acadia National Park. I think it would be a sad mistake to ignore a National Park in favor of some lesser parks/nature in other areas that your cruise ship will dock.

5. Re: one day in town- seeking unique ways to spend the day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor