We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Options for Limited Mobility

Yonkers, New York
2 posts
Save Topic
Best Options for Limited Mobility

I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to experience Bar Harbor and Acadia for senior citizens that can't really walk for too long.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Options for Limited Mobility

I think the best place to start would be to take an Oli's Trolley tour of the Park.

http://www.olistrolley.com/

That will allow you to see all the highlights of the Park and to get some history. After that you might decide to go back to certain spots with your own car. You can walk just a bit at Jordan Pond and then sit and watch the people and the birds and have tea and popovers on the lawn. You might opt to take a short walk along Sand Beach and just stroll and listen to the waves. Or you might become intrigued with Thunder Hole and want to sit on the rocks for awhile to watch the waves come in. It's also possible to walk just a short ways and "pull up" a rock on top of Cadillac Mountain on a sunny day when the views extend all the way to the inlands mountains of Maine.

Yonkers, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Options for Limited Mobility

Thank you, Bonniemaev!! This is really helpful.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Options for Limited Mobility

Simplyme,

I've got similar issues and have been researching. We're making our first visit in Nov, so I can't attest personally to any of this info. But, FWIW....

The acadiamagic.com website lists several paths as very easy (smooth paths/level ground) including the ones Bonnie mentioned, plus BH Shore Path and Wonderland. I've also got Asticou Gardens and Thuya Garden on my list. One of these has stairs you have to climb up, but there is a road that leads up to the top, avoiding the steps - I need to double check which one, but its listed on that website. There are also the carriage roads.

Someone also posted a link to a website about a week or 2 ago that had pictures all along many trails. I'm going to go look for it and will repost that link.

Kevin

Edited: 09 September 2013, 15:34
Georgia
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Options for Limited Mobility

Here it is....

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143010-i2947-k680…

5. Re: Best Options for Limited Mobility

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 07:19