We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bar harbor restaurants for lunch

Wallingford...
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
bar harbor restaurants for lunch

My husband and I will be coming into Bar Harbor for the day on July 5. We really wanted to get a good lobster lunch, but didn't want to take part in the overpriced shore excursions the ship offered.

Any suggestions of where we can get a really good (and pretty casual) lobster lunch? I guess it needs to be located more in the touristy area or new the ship's terminal.

Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bar harbor restaurants for lunch

Fish house grill was one of our favorites when we recently went to Bar Harbor. It is located on a pier and offers a relaxing atmosphere when sitting outside and the food was great! I hope that you enjoy it.

Mentioned in this post
Fish House Grill
Fish House Grill
602 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bar harbor restaurants for lunch

http://www.acadiainfo.com/islandchowder.htm

Also there's Jeannie's Chowder House, great for breakfast but I'm not sure if they have lobster lunches.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,909 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bar harbor restaurants for lunch

Geddy's---pick your own. And if one of you doesn't want lobster, the rest of the menu is good.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,885 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bar harbor restaurants for lunch

If not Geddy's, you could try Galyn's, right next door. Or you could try The Pier Restaurant or Stewman's. All of these are within a block from where the cruise ship tender will leave you off.

Mentioned in this post
Galyn's
Galyn's
2,170 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bar harbor restaurants for lunch

I'm going to suggest that you walk up the hill to the Town Green where you can catch the free Island Explorer bus. see http://www.exploreacadia.com/ I suggest taking the #5 Jordan Pond Bus for several options for lobster.

1. If you can make it to Northeast Harbor by 10 am, take the bus all the way to the end, to the Northeast Harbor town pier, where you can catch the 10 am Beal &Bunker boat, see schedule at www.cranberryisles.com/b&b_schedule.html to The Isleford Dock, a restaurant on Little Cranberry Island see http://www.islesford.com/idcbusiid.html Eat lunch, walk around and explore the island, and then catch the boat back, catch the bus back, etc. If you have extra time, kill in walking around in NEH's quaint downtown.

2. Don't want to go to Cranberry island? Get off the bus in NEH Main Street and shop around town, then eat at the Docksider Restaurant which is just off Main Street. See http://www.hiddenboston.com/Docksider.html Shop/walk around some more, then catch the bus back to Bar Harbor.

3. Visit Northeast Harbor before or after eating lunch at the Jordan Pond House, which is located right in the middle of Acadia. There you've got all sorts of lobster options. See http://www.jordanpond.com/ If it's a rainy day, you can eat inside near a fireplace. If it's a gorgeous day, you can eat outside with the gorgeous Acadia scenery all around.

I think you'd like Northeast Harbor as an alternative to staying among the throngs in Bar Harbor, which is probably going to be bursting at the seams with tourists and passengers off the boat. NEH is a very upscale small village with a short two-block downtown shopping district.Would be a relaxing way to spend the day, and you might see more than the folks who take the overpriced shore excursions.

Looks like you'll be on the QM2? Cool!

Mentioned in this post
Jordan Pond
Jordan Pond
954 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Jordan Pond House
Jordan Pond House
2,386 Reviews
Seal Harbor, ME
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
643 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bar harbor restaurants for lunch

I can jump on board with the other posters.....Galens or Geddys would both be excellent choices. Geddys would be the more casual of the two and as the other posters have indicated both restaurants are close by.

The Island Explorer is a good idea, but I would think you might want to see some of the land sites rather than getting on another boat. Here is the link to Island Explorer http://www.exploreacadia.com/ take a look at the schedule and different routes offered (the #5 or the #3 offer some beautiful stops) and if you could manage to work in lunch at Jordan Pond House the setting is picturesque, and oh those popovers you could enjoy with the lobster! If you do decide to get out to the Jordan Pond House plan well and make a reservation http://www.jordanpond.com/ Whatever you decide to do enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Geddys
Geddys
1,949 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Jordan Pond House
Jordan Pond House
2,386 Reviews
Seal Harbor, ME
Wallingford...
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bar harbor restaurants for lunch

Thank you all so much for your responses!

I am sure we'll get to try a place that isn't just a tourist trap, but someplace that the locals hit. My husband will be the deciding vote as he is the seafood/lobster expert.

If you think of anything else that is a must see or do, please pass on the suggestions. This will be my fist time to maine and I am greatly looking to it - even it it will only be for a day. But that just makes all the more reason to go back.

Wallingford...
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bar harbor restaurants for lunch

I forgot to mention.....yes, we will be coming in on the QM2. So we have a shore excursion booked through the ship to see Acadia National Park and some scenic driving (yadda yadda yadda) that should last about 3 hours, so we are a little limited on time.

We thought we could see the park and then have time to check out Bar Harbor itself - any must-sees in town?

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
303 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bar harbor restaurants for lunch

Shopping-wise, it's your typical tourist town with everything from cheesy souvenirs to small art galleries and boutiques.

If you want to pick up tee shirts for the kids/grandkids, my favorite tee shirts are at Cool As A Moose which will be right on the main street.

If you're going to stay in town to eat, pick Galyns.

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bar harbor restaurants for lunch

I keep seeing a lot of positive reviews for Geddy's but i was not impressed at all. I wanted something that had a view and a relaxing atmosphere with good food. To me, sitting on a pier watching the sun set is my idea of "taking it all in". You can sit on a bar stool anywhere, but being in Bar Harbor, I wanted to see the sights etc... as much as I could. Just my 2 cents on that. :o)

If you are around in the morning I highly suggest Jordans on cottage street for their blueberry pancakes. I normally do not even like them but they were incredible.

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Jordan's Restaurant
Jordan's Restaurant
1,539 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME