We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June 1/2 Marathon

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
6 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
June 1/2 Marathon

I'm running the 1/2 Marathon on June 1 which starts at or near Livingston Road and ends at the YMCA. I'd like to be close enough to the start/finish lines to walk so I don't have to deal with race day traffic. I've seen a couple of cottages and the Grand Hotel. I'm most concerned about location, parking and having someplace to get/fix a pre-race breakfast in the morning. Has anyone ever run this race or have any suggestions on where to stay??

Thank you!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,795 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June 1/2 Marathon

The Bar Harbor Grand would be fine. You could also stay at Cromwell Harbor Inn, even closer to start and finish of race:

http://www.cromwellharbor.com/

Or Atlantean Cottage, a nice B&B a few blocks away:

http://atlanteaninn.com/full.html

But really you could stay almost anywhere and just drive in that morning. June 1 is still a month away from the start of the busy tourist season here. Bar Harbor is still a small town at that time of year. Traffic isn't much of an issue.

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
6 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June 1/2 Marathon

Thank you for your help. I have looked at the Cromwell before but its so hard to judge distance on a map for me! My husband is thinking of hiking while I'm running and I don't want him to have to drop me off and get stuck in race traffic (been there, done that!) so i want the option to walk, plus that'll act as my pre-race warmup. Not sure how I'll feel about coming back but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June 1/2 Marathon

I did the 1/2 marathon last June. I live across Bar Harbor on West Street about 1 mile away. Trust me that there was absolutely NO race day traffic. I almost laughed reading your post. I had no trouble finding parking and there were no crowds. You will love the race. It was fantastic. The views were spectacular.

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
6 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June 1/2 Marathon

I live in southern maine and run tons in Portsmouth. Traffic can be MISERABLE on race day, especially with anything 10K and above. Thanks for the tip, this is my first 1/2!

Mentioned in this post
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
5. Re: June 1/2 Marathon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor