We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursion recommendation

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Excursion recommendation

Planning a multi-generation girls trip cruise - We'll be in port in early October and would like some recommendations about excursions. Our ages are between 50-75, active and not so active. I'd like to avoid the bus tours with all of the cruise passengers. Maybe something in a small group. Had been planning to do a whale watching trip, but I'm now thinking that it would be a shame to miss Acadia. Would like to make this a special day and to take in as much as we can. Any specific recommendations for tours, guides, itineraries, etc. Thanks!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excursion recommendation

The tours that go through Acadia are usually booked up by the cruises - Oli's Trolley and National Park Tours. You could get a cab and take a tour that way if your group is small enough. Or you could take the free Island Explorer Shuttle (about three blocks from the pier) and explore at your own pace. The whale watching and nature tours are also pretty booked up on cruise ship days by the cruise ship passengers.

San Mateo, CA
Level Contributor
106 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excursion recommendation

I am just curious.....are there certain days of the week that the cruise ships are in port? or are they basically there everyday? do they spend the night?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excursion recommendation

You can find the cruise ship schedule for the summer, not sure if it is out yet. There are a couple cruises here and there during the summer but it is mostly a September and October event with cruises almost every day - sometimes smaller ships with little impact and sometimes one or two large ships. The people and buses loading and unloading do jam up the lower end of Main Street and cause some congestion amongst the most popular driving destinations along the Park Loop Road such as Thunder Hole, Cadillac Mountain and Jordan Pond House. If you are hiking, taking a walk, or scenic driving on your own, they will not impact you too much. They usually head out during the late afternoon emptying the shops and restaurants for dinner.

San Mateo, CA
Level Contributor
106 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excursion recommendation

Thanks for the update. We usually get out and about early so should be ok during our Sept trip.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,846 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excursion recommendation

The cruise-ship schedule, as of February, is at:

barharbormaine.gov/DocumentCenter/View/922

San Mateo, CA
Level Contributor
106 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excursion recommendation

I am not a Bar Harbor expert....but I am planning a trip to the area for myself and husband and done research in the area and used the forum to ask my own questions. So in the spirit of just giving a suggestion, .....if I was doing a multi - generation girls trip I would look into doing the carriage rides thru the carriage roads and culminating at Jordon Pond for lunch or popovers. various tours listed at the site below.

http://carriagesofacadia.com/tours.html

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excursion recommendation

If you wanted to do the carriage ride, you can catch the free Island Explorer shuttle from the Village Green (about three blocks from the pier) to the Jordan Pond House and back.

Nazareth...
Level Contributor
10 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excursion recommendation

I just checked that info for my trip in June. I just Googled Cruise ship schedule for Bar Harbor and found the info. I beleive it was on the Chamber of Commerce website.

Fort Lauderdale
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Excursion recommendation

try www.cadillacjoestranspo.com….great tours in very nice vehicles.

10. Re: Excursion recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor