We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help: Blue Hill Peninsula

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
413 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help: Blue Hill Peninsula

We will be staying in a waterfront house in Brooklin later this month for a week. I was told our view will be unobstructed of MDI. We were last in this region 5 years ago and spent 1 night in Camden and 1 night in Southwest Harbor. We love Acadia and plan to spend a couple days there, but what about the rest of the week? Specifically, must sees around the Blue Hill Peninsula. I'm already planning on taking the ferry to Isle au Haut for one day. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,875 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help: Blue Hill Peninsula

You also will be close to Deer Isle and Stonington---a short trip that I recommend. Stop in at the Harbor Farm store and look around---including their back room with all of the tiles. You can take a kayak tour out of Stonington---among all of the small islands there.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help: Blue Hill Peninsula

There is a nice hike in Deer Isle near the Goose Cove Lodge. It's out to an island, and you must go at low tide--the walkway to the island is submerged at high tide.

The Blue Hill Penninsula is great. Drive around, visit all the little towns.

Definitely get out on teh water from Stonington. There are so many wonderful little small islands right off the harbor.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
940 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help: Blue Hill Peninsula

Good morning relayer,

So our paths cross once again. (I responded to your Yosemite post about a week ago.) It sounds like you are headed to Maine in late August. We are heading up on September 9 for a week in Bar Harbor/Acadia where we go nearly every Fall.

Anyway, not to be a contrarian but we spent a month in Stonington one day a few years back. To be fair and honest, we came down from Bar Harbor, got there early and were waiting for the mail boat over to Isle au Haut for a few nights at the Keeper's House. In that context, we spent several hours walking around Stonington with no real purpose in mind and were, quite frankly, getting bored. On the other hand, we loved our time on Isle au Haut.

I don't know if you have any interest in lighthouses or not. But if you do, there is a nice lighthouse trip you can take from the Blue Hill/Deer Isle/Stonington area. As you head away from Stonington and just before (after?) one of the bridges to Deer Island, you can go off on a side road and see Pumpkin Island light. From there move on up to Castine where you can visit Dyce Head. Keep moving up the penisula and around to the next peninsula which would take you to Camden. At Stockton Springs, you can pull off and visit Fort Point light and park. Continue down to Lincolnville and hop the ferry to Isleboro where you can visit Grindle Point light (and if you take your car, visit more of the island). Then continue down through Camden to Rockland where you can walk out to Rockland Breakwater light. Continue heading down the peninsula to Owl's Head and visit that light as well. Then retrace your steps. Along the way you can peel off into Waldoboro and have lunch at Moody's Diner.

Of course, if you don't like lighthouses, ignore the previous paragraph!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help: Blue Hill Peninsula

Paflyfisher,

We are going to be in Stonington for a week the first part of Sept.

What can you reccomend to us so we don't get bored?

We are staying at the Inn on the Harbor first stay for us .

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help: Blue Hill Peninsula

Kayak out of Stonington. There area great little islands all around.

Deer Isle has a huge arts community. Lots of artists have studios tucked all over the area. Get out and explore those and visit shops, galleries, etc.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
940 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help: Blue Hill Peninsula

Scorky,

I may get a little long here with an explanation but please bear with me. I think there are places along the Maine coast (Bar Harbor is one; Kennebunkport is another) which are what I would call a destination location. You can go there and spend the entire time there. Again using Bar Harbor as an example, we are going there in Septemeber and will spend the full nine days in Bar Harbor and Acadia.

Then there are other places which are good locations from which to launch and go exploring. Boothbay Harbor is to me such a place and so is Stonington. The difference to me is that there still is a lot one can do in Boothbay Harbor (where we did spend several days). I didn't feel the same way in Stonington (where we admittedly only spent several hours).

With that as context, I would do several things if I was to spend a week in Stonington. For one, I would defintiely take a day and hop the mail boat to Isle au Haut. If you are into hiking you can get off at the campground in Acadia (part of the island is in Acadia National Park) and hike a couple of the easier trails. Otherwise get off at what passed as a town on Isle au Haut and spend some time walking along the roads. There is virtually no traffic to speak of and you can visit the little store, pass the one room schoolhouse, pass the Inn, visit the old cemetary and so on. I have to admit that I am not sure where you would eat on the island. When we were there all meals were provided by The Keeper's House.

Second, I would take a day and visit some of the artists on Deer Isle as Michele has recommended. Third, I would take the lighthouse trip that I described above. By the way there is a nice lighthouse on Isle au Haut. Fourth, I would look for one of the boat trips out to the islands which are beautiful. Fifth, I would take the drive up to Bar Harbor and Acadia for a day. But you see the pattern here. Each trip is taking you from Stonington to someplace else.

I had a friend who spend a week or two every year in Boothbay Harbor and loved it. When I asked him what he and his wife did. He would tell me that they took a road trip here and a road trip there. Sure enough when we went to Boothbay, we ended up using it as a hub to go here and there.

The final thing I will say is that we have not visited an area along the coast of Maine that was not absolutely beautiful and that does include Stonington. So keep your eyes open and enjoy. You'll never confuse Stonington with Nebraska. >8^)

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Help: Blue Hill Peninsula

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I do like the kayaking idea. Greeting again paflyfisher! If you're interested, I just posted my Yosemite pictures on that forum. As I thought, there will be plenty to do using Brooklin as a base. After putting 1500 miles on the rental car in CA, driving to the Schoodic Peninsula will seem like it's around the corner :)

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Help: Blue Hill Peninsula

While I love the Stonington area, I agree that perhaps there is not much there to hold one's interest too long. I did notice in July though that there is now a tour boat that leaves out of Stonington. Because the town lies on the well-known Deer Island Thoroughfare, I would expect this is a worthwhile trip. I cruise the coast of Maine all summer long and that area.....with its smooth pink tables of granite and "pointed firs", as Sarah Orne Jewett described....is to me just about the prettiest place in Maine. When I look at those islands on a summer day, they look like jewels in a necklace over the blue, blue water.

The suggestion to rent kayaks is a good one. A favourite place for kayakers is a little island between Camp, Bold, and Devil Islands, locally known as Hell's Half Acre. This is state owned, and one may camp there. The schooners often use it for lobster bakes, so be prepared to share the beach if you are there on a weekday evening.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Help: Blue Hill Peninsula

The lobster pound in Deer Isle was once written up in Down East magazine as one of the best in the state. I ate there MANY years ago & remember a great view. http://www.eatonslobsterpool.com/

The lobster roll in the general store in Castine (Castine Variety?) won a readers poll in the Bangor Daily as the best lobster roll in the state a year or so back. My vegetarian friend who lives in Castine falls off the veggie wagon ocassionally because of that lobster roll. Castine is a great walking town. It has incredible architecture which can be better appreciated when you are on foot, taking your time to study little details.

Stonington is very quiet compared to Bar Harbor, Boothbay, Camden, Kennebunkport, etc. Stonington as a great place to kick back, unwind, and perhaps get a glimps of a more "real" Maine. If you are the least bit into photography, you'll love exploring the town.

10. Re: Itinerary Help: Blue Hill Peninsula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 04:18
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor