We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seawall area

Mars
Level Contributor
227 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
seawall area

Anyone ever stay at the Seawall Motel or other places in that area? Any pluses or minuses over the busier Bar Harbor area?

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seawall area

The Seawall Motel is really remote and isolated. You will have to get in the car to go do anything except walk on the rocky beach across from the motel. Unless you already know that area and are okay with being so isolated, I'd be afraid to recommend it.

If you want to get out of the craziness that is Bar Harbor, consider in-town Southwest Harbor where you can walk to town for ice cream, lunch, grocery store, bakery, small shops, etc.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: seawall area

The Seawall Motel is also very dated. There are a couple of nice hikes near there, Wonderland and Ship Harbor. The Seawall Campground is part of Acadia National Park. You would be about five miles from Southwest Harbor is you stayed in Seawall.

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
462 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: seawall area

I USED to stay at the Seawall before going to Swan's Island, but the last time(a few years back) it had been bought by someone else and it is just what it says-MOTEL. Nothing special and VERY dated.

I agree with staying in Southwest Harbor if you don't want busy Bar Harbor. There are some nice B & B's and some small motels with cottages on the harbor. Nice restaruants and small shops with some unique items. Hope this helps a little.

Mars
Level Contributor
227 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: seawall area

Thanks "sewmuch" for your helpful replies. Will try to stay somewhere a little more settled, but not right in the BIG city!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: seawall area

That's so funny: Bar Harbor as a "big city" !! We are town of only about 5,000 people. The whole village is only about ten square blocks with only two streets that have shops and restaurants. Not a "big city" at all. In fact, the largest city in Maine is Portland and it only has about 70,000 people. The population of the entire state of Maine is less than the population of St. Louis, Missouri!

Mars
Level Contributor
227 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: seawall area

I know, I know...just a little tongue in cheek humor! Can't wait to experience the island life!

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: seawall area

Not to disappoint you, but this is really not "island" life as MDI is connected by a causeway / small bridge, so it's really more like being on the mainland.

If you want to get a real taste for a Maine island, take the mailboat or the Ranger-led cruise to Islesford (little Cranberry Island) or the car ferry (trickier scheduling if it's a busy day) to Swans Island. Now that will give you a taste of authenic Maine "island life"!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: seawall area

RE: island life---

Better yet, Isle au Haut, Monhegan, or Matinicus.

9. Re: seawall area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 17:24