We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities around Bar Harbor

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
35 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Activities around Bar Harbor

Hi,

We are visiting Bar Harbor after 10 years...Been coming here since 1991...

We are visiting BH next week.

I read through the forum and go lot of useful info.

I have following questions.

1) Any suggestion for day trips ?

2) Back in 1994 I had rented 2 canoes near rt3, 198, 102 intersection...(currently Sommesville Freshies area). I remember going to a very small un-developed island for a lunch picnic. Can someone recommend canoe rental place and name of the place to boat?

We will be doing normal park loop and hikes etc. As it is there is plenty to do in BH and weather looks pretty good.

Thank you,

Robert

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Activities around Bar Harbor

You could take a day trip up to Lubec to the West Quoddy Lighthouse with a trip to Campobello Island (you need a passport because the island is Canada). Or you could go south down to the Camden/Rockland area for the day.

The canoe rental company may have been National Park Canoe and Kayak rental. If you went out on the ocean, possibly you went out to Bartlett's Landing.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Activities around Bar Harbor

Lubec would make a nice day-trip as already noted. If you go, be sure to plan to travel ME Rt 182 either coming or going. It's a designated Maine Scenie Byway that connects US Rt 1 in Hancock with US Rt 1 in Cherryfield, passing through Maine woods and blueberry lands and several nice undeveloped ponds... as well s the small Maine town Franklin. Nice drive with less traffic than US Rt 1.

For a shorter trip closer to BH, the loop drive of the Schoodic Point Section of Acadia National Park offers some great coastal scenery with fewer crowds and less traffic than the main park on Mt. Desert Island.

Another nice drive would be back to Ellsworth and then down through Blue Hill to the island communities of Deer Isle and Stonington...great examples of small Maine coastal communities with a true "local" flavor.

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
35 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Activities around Bar Harbor

Thanks for the responses.

We made to BH yesterday.

Afternoon was great till 6 PM and then we lost electricity :-)

Enjoyed the stroll in the downtown.

With thunderstorms next 2 days I might not get a chance to do day trips after all!.

West Bloomfield...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Activities around Bar Harbor

We went to the movies one day for a 6pm show. What a novel experience! The cost was just 6$ but the atmosphere inside was fantastic. Instead of traditional theater seats, we sat on couches and comfy chairs. It was so cool. I've never experienced anything like this! My wife and I loved it. Get there early as they let you reserve seats. This is an excellent way to ensure a great spot to sit and to relax and unwind after a day of adventure:)

Edited: 19 July 2014, 17:06
5. Re: Activities around Bar Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor