We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acadia in October

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Acadia in October

We will be Acadia the weekend of October 4, 2014. I was just wondering if we can expect bumper to bumper traffic on the park loop road and how much time we might need to allow for stops and traffic to make the complete loop? Any recommendations for sights too good to miss along this route? Any insights will be much appreciated.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,188 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acadia in October

No, there will not be bumper-to-bumper traffic on the Loop Road. There never is. I had a friend visiting recently who is familiar with Smokey Mountain National Park. She was stunned at the lack of traffic, even though there were plenty of people at Sand Beach and on the top of Cadillac and it was hard to find a parking spot at Jordan Pond. Traffic between those spots moved nicely.

The October weekend won't be as crowded as July and August. With stops at Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, Otter Cliffs, Jordan Pond, and the top of Cadillac, it should take you two to three hours, longer if you go for a walk or have tea and popovers.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Acadia in October

Bonniemaev:

Wow, that's amazingly good news about the traffic. Thanks so much for the suggested stops. Would you suggest lunch at Jordan Pond or elsewhere? Also, I noticed that there are cruises departing from Bar Harbor and Northeast Harbor. Would you happen to know if they cover approximately the same territory? I saw a route for the one out of Northeast Harbor but not for the one out of Bar Harbor. I really appreciate your help with any of these questions.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,188 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acadia in October

If it's a pretty day and they are seating people out on the lawn, the Jordan Pond House would be an especially nice place for lunch. You could also exit the Park and have lunch at The Colonel's Deli in Northeast Harbor. Or any place in Bar Harbor. It's very easy to exit and then go back into the Park. Things are much closer than people think.

The various cruises cover much the same area but differ in emphasis. Some are sponsored.by the Park and have a Ranger onboard. Others have a naturalist or an historian. Some explain lobster fishing.

Some point out shoreline mansions. All are interesting except maybe the ones that go way out into the very cold North Atlantic looking for whales.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Acadia in October

Thanks once again for your helpful reply. We are coming down from Ellsworth and I though we might work our way down on the loop road, take time out for a boat tour and lunch and then maybe catch a carriage ride before completing the loop and exiting the park for Portland. Will study the maps on line to checkout the entrance points--just hoping the weather will cooperate:-) I've heard many good things about the beauty of the park and Bar Harbor, so we are really looking forward to this portion of our "leaf peeper" adventure.

5. Re: Acadia in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor