We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week in Maine with 9 yr old- first time trip

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
1 week in Maine with 9 yr old- first time trip

We are going to spend a week in Maine with our 9 year old daughter. I would love some suggestions I was thinking of going to a few coastal towns and then heading up to Acadia for 2-3 nights. We are driving from Brooklyn so it's a long drive. I was thinking the following but I would love suggestions.

Kennebunkport/ Ogunquit 2 nights (4.5 hrs from NY Arrive Dinnertime)

Spend the day beach/ Kennebunkport town

Boothbay 2 nights (2 Hrs from Kennebunkport)

Oven Mouth Preserve: Hike

Cabbage Island Clam Bake

Bar Harbor 2 nights ( 3 Hrs from Boothbay)

Freeport 1 Day Shop outlets (3 Hrs from Bar Harbor)

Wells 1 night ( 1 hr from Freeport)

Back to brooklyn (4-5 hrs)

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week in Maine with 9 yr old- first time trip

I've changed my itinerary and I need advice. Should we spend 2 nights in Booth bay harbor and 2 nights in bar harbor or 1 night in booth bay harbor and 3 nights in Bar harbor?

Aug 23 & 24 Portland (arrive dinner spend next day)

Aug 25 Booth Bay Harbor

Hike & Clambake

Aug 26-28 Bar Harbor

Aug 29 Shop Freeport Stay at Brewster House in Freeport

Aug 30 Stop in Kennebunkport on the way home

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
294 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week in Maine with 9 yr old- first time trip

We adore Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. However, I think it depends on what is easier for your daughter travel-wise. Do you prefer to stay put a bit longer or would you prefer to get to Acadia and get settled. You will find plenty to do in either spot. Some tips for the ride up the coast if you are looking to stop for lunch etc. In Camden, there is a huge, free parking lot on the harbor (behind the shops on Main Street) and it is fun to feed the ducks. (We stop every year to do this- rain or shine)! Bring lots to stale bread with you. Also, In Rockport Maine, you get stop in the harbor which "Andre the Seal" made his home. There is a statute of him that your daughter can climb on. Check out the book and movie of the same name-- your daughter will love it. We are not outlet shoppers so I have never spent more than an hour or two in Freeport.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week in Maine with 9 yr old- first time trip

I ended up booking 1 night in Boothbay and 3 nights in Bar Harbor

Do you have any favorite hikes in Acadia to do with your kids?

I am thinking of doing the Gorham Hike. I read that you should park at Sand Beach, hike ocean drive, pass Thunder Hole and then start the Gorham trail

The first night I am thinking of driving to the summit of Cadillac to watch the sunset.

Any other hikes you recommend with kids?

We also want to do the Diver Ed boat. One morning before we go out to hike

MA
Level Contributor
412 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week in Maine with 9 yr old- first time trip

Diver Ed does a great job and I'm sure you'll both have a lot of fun.

Ship Harbor trail near Bass Harbor is magical and is an easy, rewarding hike for kids. Adjacent Wonderland trail is very nice too. I saw a bunch of seals hanging out there years ago, not sure if that's a common hangout. Combine with warm popovers and oatmeal at the Common Good soup kitchen -- your donation goes to a good cause -- and/or lunch at Thurston's in Bernard and you've got a nice adventure. Be sure to walk across the street and check out the dramatic waves at Seawall.

Also don't forget to pop in to check out the Bass Harbor lighthouse while you are in the neighborhood.

If you do all this on a Wednesday in July or August, you can buy some pies art the meeting house in Somes Sound, they start the sale at noon. Just don't be late as they sell out!

MA
Level Contributor
412 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week in Maine with 9 yr old- first time trip

Diver Ed does a great job and I'm sure you'll both have a lot of fun.

Ship Harbor trail near Bass Harbor is magical and is an easy, rewarding hike for kids. Adjacent Wonderland trail is very nice too. I saw a bunch of seals hanging out there years ago, not sure if that's a common hangout. Combine with warm popovers and oatmeal at the Common Good soup kitchen -- your donation goes to a good cause -- and/or lunch at Thurston's in Bernard and you've got a nice adventure. Be sure to walk across the street and check out the dramatic waves at Seawall.

Also don't forget to pop in to check out the Bass Harbor lighthouse while you are in the neighborhood.

If you do all this on a Wednesday in July or August, you can buy some pies art the meeting house in Somes Sound, they start the sale at noon. Just don't be late as they sell out!

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 week in Maine with 9 yr old- first time trip

Just a couple suggestions that might be somewhat unique to Maine that a 9yo might enjoy. A drive in movie and a visit to a County Fair.

As for easy Acadia hikes to do with a child we like to hike to Hadlock Falls (may just be a trickle if no recent rain) and we like to hike around Jordan pond via carriage road on on one side and lake side trail on the other.

7. Re: 1 week in Maine with 9 yr old- first time trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor