We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mars
Level Contributor
215 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

We just got back from 8 days in and around the MDI area and want to let you know our findings. The weather was wonderful...sunny days, chilly evenings and one night a spectacular storm!

I had made reservations at the Seawall Motel and was a little concerned because of what I read here about it. Let me tell you the reports were totally wrong! The motel, located directly across the street from the water, was wonderful. The rooms were large, newly carpeted, nicely decorated with what looked like new spreads, and very clean. The best part of the stay was the Lloyd family. They immediately made us comfortable and gave interesting background information to every question we asked. While we were there they were hosting an open air artist's workshop with painting being done along the coast and in the park. The generous complimentary breakfast became an hour long visit complete with family tales and island history. Dave and Vickie are a wealth of information and hospitality. In fact, we liked it so well that we extended our stay!

Of course, we did other things. Acadia Park was wonderful. (If anyone in your group is 62 or over, don't forget to buy the Gold Pass for $10. This one time fee enables the senior and a guest to enter any Nat'l Park for free for the rest of his life! ) We took the Island Cruise out of Bass Harbor... Captain Kim gives a great educational narration complete with lobster traps. Eating was a high point! Although we didn't eat at any gourmet restaurants we enjoyed breakfast at Jordan's in Bar Harbor, the lobster feast at Poor Boy's, pop overs ala mode at Jordan's pond and lobster rolls at Thurstons. Two places we enjoyed that I didn't read about here were Mainly Meats in Town Hill and the Quietside Cafe in Southwest Harbor. Both were very casual with tasty food and a friendly staff. The rest of the time was filled with shopping, sightseeing and visiting antique and "junk" stores from Camden to Searsport. What fun!

Sorry this is so long...but so much more could be said. Obviously we enjoyed the whole visit...except the lost suitcase on the flight home. Thanks for reading!

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Hi Sewmuch,

Thanks so much for reporting back! It's always good to get fresh/new posts about where one stays or dines out as places constantly change owners, restaurants get new chefs, and everything could be different from what someone wrote even 6 months ago. Glad your accomodations turned out to be better than expected :).

cozyharbor

Mars
Level Contributor
215 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

I forgot to mention that the other place we stayed on the island was the Bar Harbor Motel. It was also very clean and nice. The staff was friendly and informative, but without a breakfast we didn't get know them as well.

Even though it was mid September we enjoyed two pleasant afternoons on Sandy Beach in the park. One time we had a picnic and observed a wedding on the beach!

3. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 17:23