We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive down Highway 1

Scotland
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
drive down Highway 1

Celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary, my wife and I will be staying in San Francisco in November 2005. When we leave we are driving down the coast and have a 1 night stop over .Any advice on where to stay over would be appreciated .Or do we just drive and see what happens.This will be during 1st week in November .Is the weather likely to be ok.

Linz

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drive down Highway 1

Where are you driving to? LA? If so, you could stay somewhere in the Big Sur area. The drive from SF to Big Sur is about 4 to 5 hours, depending on how many stops you make. I've never stayed in Big Sur, but I hear there are a few spectacular places to stay there.

As for the weather in November, there is a possibility for rain. We usually get our first winter storm in either late October or early to mid-November. It could make driving down Hwy 1 rather difficult, but you always have the option of taking Hwy 101, which is more inland.

calif
Level Contributor
190 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drive down Highway 1

ItsLinz, You didn't say where your driving to?

25th aniversary..........#1 Ritz Carlton, Half Moon Bay

#2 Coast Hotel, Santa Cruz

Rain is likely.

California
Level Contributor
324 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drive down Highway 1

Assuming you are headed to L.A., I would also recommend Big Sur or Carmel. The Ritz Carlton at Half Moon Bay is - well - a Ritz Carlton. Excellent service, but a somewhat austere location. If I were you, I would opt for something more "Californian". Carmel is the quintessential seaside village that's now an upscale enclave of million-dollar homes, but is still lovely and worth seeing. There's all prices of hotels & lodges & B&Bs. You can walk to town, to the beach, to dinner. It's really fun. For something more secluded, Carmel Valley is quieter (and warmer - more sun). Big Sur has Ventana, which is very romantic. In November, the weather is a gamble. I've been to Big Sur in November and gone swimming, or it could well be raining. Be prepared for either. But you'll love the drive - don't let anyone talk you out of it unless the weather's really bad.