We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco hotel fees and taxes are exorbitant!

Santa Barbara, CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco hotel fees and taxes are exorbitant!

My $125 a night hotel room at Villa Florence turned into a $262.97 per night hotel room with all of the additional taxes and fees. I love San Francisco, but this is ridiculous!

Room charge

Room tax

TDA

CTTC

Admin Fee

Admin Tax

Employee Health Surcharge

Employee Health Surcharge Tax

Parking

Parking Tax

Mentioned in this post
Villa Florence
Villa Florence
1,986 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
15 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,481 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco hotel fees and taxes are exorbitant!

well Supply and Demand. All hotels have about a 16% tax so that is not surprising. You chose to park your car with them which no one would recommend -- well then you paid for it

I think the hotel charges a facility fee of 29 bucks a day. Restaurants charge a health fee. First hotel with a health fee charge for lodging that I have seen

Did you not do the math before booking that hotel. Normally many hotels have a rate plus 16% tax which is what one pays You chose to park and stay at a hotel that has its facility fee.

Next time kindly do the math before staying and you may get a better deal and oh there are options to park cars

Edited: 08 February 2017, 22:19
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco hotel fees and taxes are exorbitant!

I'm sorry you had a negative experience, but I would never book a hotel without first ascertaining what the total cost was going to be including parking fee and taxes etc.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,628 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco hotel fees and taxes are exorbitant!

I am guessing they are charging you $60 per night to park there. Do you really need the car? Can you park it elsewhere?

Other than that, the 16% is pretty typical. But the "resort/urban fees" are a new thing in SF and most places do not charge this. The employee health thing is not that big of a percentage if I recall.

Edited: 08 February 2017, 22:25
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,628 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco hotel fees and taxes are exorbitant!

Have you booked already? If not, vote with your feet...

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,481 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco hotel fees and taxes are exorbitant!

Chinita have you seen hotels charge the Employee Health Surcharge. ?

I did a quick mock booking on the grand hyatt and this is what i see

Tourism Dst Asmt $9.73 USD

Moscone Dst Asmt $7.78 USD

Occupancy Tax $108.92 USD Ca

Tourism Fee $2.00 USD

That is a total of 16% which is SF standard. NO other taxes or fees

So Villa Florence is an outlier -- Not the only one. Vitale is and one other funky hotel who's name escapes me

Mentioned in this post
Villa Florence
Villa Florence
1,986 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,628 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco hotel fees and taxes are exorbitant!

From my Oct at Herbert Hotel:

TID/MED: 2.25% - not sure what these stand for

TOT: 14% (transient occupancy fees)

From my summer stay at Parc 55:

Room Occupancy tax - 14%

SF Business Dist Assessment - 2.25%

CA Tourism Tax - 2%

I guess was thinking the employee health fee at restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
The Herbert Hotel
The Herbert Hotel
1,453 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,481 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco hotel fees and taxes are exorbitant!

most charge what you were charged at Parc 55. Similar to the Hyatt. The Herbert is also at 16.5 -- again typical

Villa Florence is obviously extorting people -- But they do show their fees at booking time so while I agree that the fees and taxes are high -- the OP chose to book and pay and then complain. Oh well. Sorry op

Mentioned in this post
The Herbert Hotel
The Herbert Hotel
1,453 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Villa Florence
Villa Florence
1,986 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Francisco hotel fees and taxes are exorbitant!

Thanks for the reminder of what people should look out for on their bills. 16% tax is normal. The parking IS expensive. We are used to that. So I can see how the bill came as a shock. If you were to exclude the parking then the rate would be reasonable. We have a Top Question section to the right -> it lists budget hotels and a convention schedule, which drives up hotel rates.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,468 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Francisco hotel fees and taxes are exorbitant!

The parking charge and the $29 facility fee make up most of the difference. I dont' think this is a SF issue, but rather a big city issue (parking) and an issue with this particular hotel and their silly facility fee. Vote with your feet and choose a different hotel that doesn't charge the facility fee.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,859 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Francisco hotel fees and taxes are exorbitant!

Be sure you add a review in the reviews section to let others know about the facilities fee for this hotel and your experience. That is where this info will be most useful since things in the forum drop off the page quickly.

This will discourage those who read reviews from using the hotel if they dislike the extra fees. The approx 16% hotel taxes are standard in SF. The other fees charged are up to the hotel and so they will be helpful to call out in a review since many people might miss them on booking and hotels like this one hope people don't look. If you think they're playing pricing games, then call them out in a review.

Parking charges from $30 to $60 are common across most central hotels. The best solution to avoid parking fees is not to have a car or find a less central hotel where parking is free, and parking issues are covered in the forum constantly and are in the top questions.

Sorry you had a bad experience at that hotel.

Reply to: San Francisco hotel fees and taxes are exorbitant!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted