We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can someone explain what" Farebox or limited use" means plea

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
468 posts
Save Topic
Can someone explain what" Farebox or limited use" means plea

Hi

So I have been looking at prices for the cable cars and next to " youth age 5:18" it says Farebox or Limited use. Can someone explain what does this mean as further down the page it says "Farebox or limited use, single ride cable car $3.00 between the hours of 9pm and 7am. I am just wondering if for my 7 children if we ride the cable cars between 9pm and 7am do we get the fare of $3.00 per child or would it be the normal fare of $7.00 pp.

Thank you

Sharon

5 replies to this topic
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,319 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can someone explain what" Farebox or limited use" means plea

It seems pretty clear from the MUNI website, this page:

https:/…fares-passes

The off-hour discount fare of $3.00 is for the "Senior (65+)*, Disabled*, Medicare* category of passengers, not for youth. Youth still pays $7.00 at all time.

"Farebox" is the machine that is onboard a MUNI vehicle (e.g. bus). But I don't believe cable cars use them (where you feed your paper money or coins into the box to pay for fare when you get on).

"Limited Use Ticket" is the ticket you pre-purchase before your ride from the ticketing machine. "Limited" because it has a time limit (90 minutes I believe). As different from a day pass.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
468 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can someone explain what" Farebox or limited use" means plea

Hi HappyFeet1234, that's why I came on and asked because it didn't seem very clear to me. I had already looked at the website before I posted this question. I knew that the $3.00 was for the seniors, disabled etc but i thought because it also mentioned "farebox/limited use and it mentioned this also near the child part (ages 5:18) I thought that it may cover under 18's within that specific time period.

Thanks

Sharon

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,159 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can someone explain what" Farebox or limited use" means plea

They're talking about methods of payment "Farebox or Limited-Use Ticket" versus "Clipper® or MuniMobile". It doesn't change ages or other criteria.

If you read each line across left to right, it lists the type of passenger (regular adult, youths, etc.), then the single trip bus fare, then the cable car fare (both regular and late night discount). Regardless of the type of payment, the reduced cable car fare only applies to the passenger type on the same line: "Senior (65+)*, Disabled*, Medicare*".

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,495 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can someone explain what" Farebox or limited use" means plea

Your options are to purchase a MUNI Passport for unlimited rides -- helps if you want to do more than a couple of rides on the cable car. Otherwise not useful for kids.

OR

get the muni mobile app on your phone -- saves adults 25 cents. Saves kids 10 cents per ride (transfer for 90 minutes included). Transfers etc do not apply to cable cars

Honestly with that many people -- perhaps a van/large SUV to take you around may be cheaper

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
468 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can someone explain what" Farebox or limited use" means plea

Thank you SFSusanW.

Thanks belomiser, we will have a 12 seater hired van but I don't know whether we should just be parking it and leaving it the 3 days that we are in SF for or whether we should be using it . If we are doing the cable car we would only use it once but even then for the 9 of us for one ride that is going to cost us $63 .

I think it may be silly not to use the van , seeing as we have it , so we may end up using it , when we need to and possibly going on the cable cars once if the kids really want to go on them.

Thanks

Sharon

Reply to: Can someone explain what" Farebox or limited use" means plea
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted