We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from airport to Portrero Hill?

dublin, ireland
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Transport from airport to Portrero Hill?

Hi all,

I have searched the forums for advice on this but it's very confusing with the Bart, muni, buses and all the variations of uber.

Could someone please advise me the best way to get from the airport to Portrero Hill (near Jackson Playground)? Obviously the cheaper the better but it's my first time in SF and I don't want to get confused changing buses etc so I will pay extra for the simplest route.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,325 Reviews
from US$105.00*
Free Cancellation
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods, and...
2,583 Reviews
from US$68.00*
Free Cancellation
San Francisco Super Saver: Muir Woods...
1,733 Reviews
from US$121.00*
Free Cancellation
15 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,529 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from airport to Portrero Hill?

Best way is cab or uber or lyft or wingz. Easy and no transfers

Variations of uber ? Just stick to UberX

Edited: 23 August 2017, 14:50
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,203 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from airport to Portrero Hill?

Wingz is a fixed rate, so that's even simpler, plus it can be booked in advance. You will need to have a working data signal on your phone for anything but a taxi or shuttle.

(Shuttle, by the way, will be somewhat cheaper for one person, but may well take longer as it's a shared ride so you may wait for other people to get picked up and dropped off.)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,142 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from airport to Portrero Hill?

Uber or Lyft will only be $28-$30 give or take, no need to schedule in advance just request a ride when you are ready and the driver will show up within a couple of minutes.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from airport to Portrero Hill?

We used Wingz for the first time a few months ago, excellent service. Using an online promo code I found I got the ride from SFO to hotel for $29 fixed rate.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from airport to Portrero Hill?

All the comments re Uber/Lyft/Wingz are correct, but be aware that you will need a working mobile phone to use all these services (with a data connection for Uber/Lyft).

If you aren't sure you will have a working phone, then just walk outside the airport and get a regular taxi from the official taxi stand. This will likely cost about $45 on the meter.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
10,854 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport from airport to Portrero Hill?

Due to Potrero Hill's location between the airport and downtown SF, I'd think with a shuttle like Super Shuttle or Lorrie's, you'd be the first one dropped off.

Edited: 23 August 2017, 19:53
Mentioned in this post
San Francisco Shuttle Tours
San Francisco Shuttle...
1,050 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
7. Re: Transport from airport to Portrero Hill?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 August 2017, 20:45

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport from airport to Portrero Hill?

Davdaven, the OP also said they were willing to pay extra for a simple route that avoids changing buses. As Jackson Playground is about eight blocks from Potrero Ave, I don't think your suggestion fits the bill.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,042 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport from airport to Portrero Hill?

OP asked for something that is "cheaper" and some of these suggestions don't fit the bill!

Blink, will you have a data plan? If so, using Uber Pool or Lyft Line are solid options. The trip should cost around $15. If not, you should use public transit. It's a little cheaper, and it is pretty straightforward:

1. Catch BART from SFO and ride it to 16th Street/Mission.

2. Exit the station via the big stairs/escalator (just past the ticket booth), and from the bus stop to the right of the exit, catch the Muni 22-Fillmore bus going towards Potrero Hill. The bus will display "Third + 20th" as the destination. There are bus stops along 17th Street near Jackson Playground.

http://www.bart.gov

http://www.sfmta.com/22

BART ticket machines take cash and credit cards, and Muni takes cash or mobile app. BART fare is $8.90, and Muni fare is $2.75 cash or $2.50 with the mobile app.

Mentioned in this post
The Fillmore
The Fillmore
48 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Potrero Hill
Potrero Hill
14 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,042 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport from airport to Portrero Hill?

Yes, I missed the reference to Jackson Playground and updated my post accordingly. Actually had to repost it, as I had just missed the edit window.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Reply to: Transport from airport to Portrero Hill?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted