We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Restaurant in San Francisco?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Protaras, Cyprus
Level Contributor
272 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Great Restaurant in San Francisco?

It's been suggested by one of our fellow contributors that it's not too early to consider which restaurant to have Thanksgiving dinner.

I'm grateful for any recommendations.

Given that Thanksgiving is our first night in SF something 'typically San Franciscan' would be good, if there's such a place. Or perhaps somewhere that has live music. We are staying at the York Hotel so that will probably be an option (it's 4 blocks from Union Sq).

I expect we would want to pay up to $40 -$45 per head plus drinks -is that realistic on Thanksgiving, or should we be prepared to pay more?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Restaurant in San Francisco?

metrobird said «It's been suggested by one of our fellow contributors that it's not too early to consider which restaurant to have Thanksgiving dinner.»

'Twas I.

«pay up to $40 -$45 per head plus drinks -is that realistic»

I believe it is. Quite.

The York has its own music venue.

The first thing that must be done is to learn where dinner's being served. I think it's BetterthanBings who's posted URLS for Tillman and Belden places and/or Claude Lane where there are places to eat near the York that might be serving ThanksGiving dinner.

You don't want «something 'typically San Franciscan'» on ThanksGiving: It is a traditional meal based on that consumed in 1621. Unfortunately, oysters have been forgotten and there have been some minor changes over the centuries but we all know pretty-much what we'll cook, or be served, on that day for that meal.

Yes, there are some non-traditional family and/or regional variations, but the basic meal is dictated by by history.

The frequently-updated SPECIAL EVENTS page has irregularly-scheduled music and dances as well as links to seven calendars of regularly-scheduled dances, a composite of five of them, and one of dance cruises and events around the world: http://geocities.com/dancefest/Specials.html

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,971 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Restaurant in San Francisco?

Try the Garden Court at the Sheraton Palace for a traditional dinner and a beautiful and historic venue. It may be more expensive than your estimate, but well worth it, if they are serving then, and I am pretty sure they will be.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Restaurant in San Francisco?

At this point, it's good to at least start getting some ideas of places you'd like to think about, at least. I think you're taking the right approach by thinking out loud ("perhaps somewhre that has live music").

Thanksgiving dinner is usually dictated by the tradition of having turkey ... and then some. The idea is abundance and the cornucopia, and all that. Traditional in SF might be argued that you can somehow fit in some crab in the menu, because November is usually the start of the local Dungeness crabbing season (I always serve some at home).

Anyway, the lower-priced places will try to have a basic turkey dinner (even a basic turkey sandwich, if quite budget!) with stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes and a vegetable of some sort, topped off by pumpkin pie. As you ascend the price scale, stuff gets added or the preparations get fancier. Regional favorites apply in America (hence the Dungeness crab in SF, and my mother in New Orleans grew up with oyster stuffing, of course).

Most of the large hotels will have a special Thanksgiving menu and offer quite a bit. Some of the places I've often thought would be nice to have a Thanksgiving dinner that felt traditional would be in The Big Four, the dining room of the Huntington Hotel on Nob Hill. Also, perhaps Maxfield's, the lovely dining room of the Palace Hotel, that is dominated by a Maxfield Parrish painting. The former would be a cable car ride up the hill (or a cab), the latter would be a brisk walk to Market and New Montgomery streets.

For something completely different, yet still very San Francisco, I think I will have to put on my thinking cap.

Anyway, this is a start

Protaras, Cyprus
Level Contributor
272 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Restaurant in San Francisco?

Thank you for your suggestions. They all look fabulous - even opulent! We'll have to see if the budget can stretch that far.

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Restaurant in San Francisco?

Hi metrobird,

Swingcha mentions Claude lane, there is a fantastic little bistro there called Cafe Claude which we went to last week, good prices and the food is amazing!

The cheeseckae factory at the top of Macys department store in Unuion Sq is excellent value as well.

Enjoy

Protaras, Cyprus
Level Contributor
272 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Restaurant in San Francisco?

Cafe Claude looks really great - thank you.

Protaras, Cyprus
Level Contributor
272 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Restaurant in San Francisco?

Cafe Claude looks really great - thank you.

8. Re: Great Restaurant in San Francisco?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 06:24