We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Immigration / passport question (faster electronic line?)

Level Contributor
7 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Immigration / passport question (faster electronic line?)

Hey everyone! I have seen in airports now sometimes there are additional lines for people with some sort of electronic capabilities (nothing to do with status, they are just ordinary passport holders). They have a different line, scan the passport and go through the security doors without having to wait in the massive lines to see the immigration officer. It appears to be a simple addition to a passport. I don’t know how to get this set up on my passport as I don’t know what it’s called ? Any ideas?

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,363 Reviews
from US$105.00*
Best Seller
San Francisco Super Saver: Muir Woods...
1,799 Reviews
from US$126.00*
Special Offer
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods, and...
2,630 Reviews
from US$61.20*
US$68.00
7 replies to this topic
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,902 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Immigration / passport question (faster electronic line?)

What passport do you hold? If a US passport, you're probably seeing Global Entry, which is the best thing for US travelers since... ever. It also includes TSA Pre-Check, so you also speed through the boarding process when leaving the US. Well worth the cost if you travel frequently.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,209 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Immigration / passport question (faster electronic line?)

Well. There are kiosks at most airports that one can use without signing up as a North American passport holder or repeat visa or ESTA visitor

Or trusted traveler as Susan suggests

Or. Mobile passport for North America passport holders ( US and Canada )

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Immigration / passport question (faster electronic line?)

hcs0792, I think you're asking about the requirement for all RFID chips in passports for them to be read electronically, required as of 2006. If you have a US passport issued in the last 10 years, then it would contain it: …passportoffices.us/help/…

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,742 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Immigration / passport question (faster electronic line?)

Those are special Global Entry lines. You pay a fee with an application, wait like 4 months for a brief in person interview, and get a card that admits you to that line. After 5 years, repeat. So it costs money, is only good for 5 years, only exists at certain airports, involves getting yourself to an interview at very limited locations. Probably faster in the long run just to stand on that long line. As more and more people áre accepted into Global Entry program, those lines will grow too. I saw a pretty long line for GE at IAH.

Level Contributor
7 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Immigration / passport question (faster electronic line?)

Oh I’ve seen the ha that too! It’s actually different to than what I’m talking about.(I only know because my boyfriend somehow has this ability and he’s definitely not done anything or paid anything, it’s just a capability his passport has, but of course hes not sure either ahha) ... I think it’s called biometric, not sure.

Level Contributor
7 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Immigration / passport question (faster electronic line?)

I thought so too, but I tried and failed! My boyfriend passed through and mine said it had not yet been set up, despite having that little “camera” symbol on it which I thought meant it was OK

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,902 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Immigration / passport question (faster electronic line?)

Does the US (or SFO) have a separate process for the biometric passports? I thought that only made the inspectors' lives easier, not that you could skip the chat with the inspector. (The in-person interview for GE is what substitutes for that, I believe.)

According to DHS: "The inspection process for an e-Passport holder is the same as that for a non-e-Passport holder. When arriving at U.S. ports of entry, e-Passport holders will be directed by signage or personnel on the appropriate U.S. Customs and Border Protection booth to use." To me, "booth" implies an inspector, not a self-service kiosk...

Reply to: Immigration / passport question (faster electronic line?)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted