We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in the Castro

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Staying in the Castro

Hello-We are looking at doing a VRBO for three nights in the Castro. Family of 4, two adult children. The closest I can get to an address looks like Castro and 21st. Anyone have any idea if this is decent area? We are well travelled and are looking to be in a diverse neighborhood that is close enough to use public transportation to and from the tourist spots. What can you tell me about the area? Thank you

9 replies to this topic
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,948 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in the Castro

Generally good location walking distance to the Mission and Market St for transportation. Will take you a bit to get to Fisherman's Wharf and Golden Gate Bridge on the other side of town. Might use combination of public transportation and Uber or Lyft.

Do you know for sure the unit is a legal registered unit? Did they advertise as such? If not, do you know about the short term rental issues here in SF and the tightening regulations?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,879 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in the Castro

Castro and 21st is a fantastic upscale quiet neighborhood (I live on 21st a few blocks from there, Mark Zuckerberg has a house on 21st ) its basically the dividing line between The Castro and Noe Valley so you can walk down to the Castro one way or down to Noe the other way

Its a long walk to the Mission (easy Uber) but an easy downhill (steep hill walk back up) walk to Muni's Castro Station stop from there its only 4 stops 8 minutes into Union Square.

Edited: 15 December 2017, 04:30
buenos aires...
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in the Castro

The Castro is the GAY area of San Francisco. !8th and Castro is the crossroads of the area From 19th and Castro to 21st is up a steep hill

I think that you'll find the area interesting and more fun,than staying downtown Lots of good restaurants and good shopping. .

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,223 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in the Castro

I would not have any issues staying in the area as GB and Chinita say but do check the top question on vacation rentals and make sure they are a registered rental. That is a huge issue here in SF

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,603 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in the Castro

Those are some steep hills. As long as you will have some sort of transportation back up them, I think you'll be fine. The 24 bus is frequent in both directions. I know walking back up after a long day would suck.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
707 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in the Castro

Yes the hill to get to 21st and Castro is HUGE! There are many shops and cafes a few blocks away on 24th street. This is a safe, residential neighborhood. Keep in mind that Castro street is busy and there is a public bus that runs 24/7 along Castro street. Not sure if the unit faces Castro street, but if it does you will get some street noise. This might not bother you.

Also look into a apartment rental at 98 Caselli Ave also in the Castro. This is where my family stays when they are in town. It's a 2 bedroom apartment that is also in a safe, residential neighborhood. You should be able to find a listing online for it if it's not already booked.

Paso Robles Wine...
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in the Castro

Alan, who is that property listed through? A Google search doesn't come up with rental information.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
707 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in the Castro

Yes, its listed. My sister booked this rental twice in the last 2 years, with the most recent as of 3 months ago. I will ask her what site she booked it on. The reason your search is not showing up is that most rental sites don't show the physical address until you make the reservation.

Paso Robles Wine...
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in the Castro

Thanks! Might need a two-bedroom in the future when my sister comes to visit. She's dying to see SF.

Reply to: Staying in the Castro
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted