We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco to San Jose market

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco to San Jose market

We are staying in downtown and would like to go to the markets at San Jose. What day would be best to go and how would we get their by public transport. We don't know San Francisco at all and are from New Zealand so could you give quite detailed directions. Is it worth going and What sort of goods do they have there.?

Thanks for your advice

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco to San Jose market

Que?

What "markets" in SJ are you talking about?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco to San Jose market

I share phaminator's curiosity.

Whatever market there might be in San José, whatever you'd save at the cash register is likely to be eaten up during the two-hours and 120-mile trip involved.

jaybe said «We don't know San Francisco at all»

The "Don't-miss SIGHTS in San Francisco" page geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/Sights.html has enough to keep you busy for nine 12.7-hour days. It includes links to your best sources of advice on WHERE TO EAT and, according to the Department of Health, WHERE TO NOT EAT here, the UseNet Group ba.food, and the quite-good sfSurvey and the comprehensive Yelp. It also has a WEATHER CHART with a link to current conditions.

The FLAG/MAPS page geocities.com/iconoc/Grafix/FlagMaps.html has links to the best on-line MAP of San Francisco, an inter-active PDF created for the San Francisco Municipal Railway best viewed at 150% or greater magnification. There's also a link that will tell you HOW TO GET THERE FROM HERE. Among other maps and links on the page are a map of our CABLE CAR ROUTES, our 49-mile SCENIC DRIVE, and a superb map of GOLDEN GATE PARK.

The frequently-updated SPECIAL EVENTS page has irregularly-scheduled music and dances as well as links to seven calendars of regularly-scheduled dances, a composite of five of them, and one of dance cruises and events around the world: http://geocities.com/dancefest/Specials.html

uk
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco to San Jose market

could it be the fleamarket in San Jose?

http://www.sjfm.com

never been there but it looks worth a visit

just a thought, can you buy fleas at a fleamarket ???

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,696 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco to San Jose market

There is the Bayshore fleam Market in SF and Alameda flea market, both closer ot the city than SJ.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco to San Jose market

It was the flea market, apparently in Berryessa Rd, - I just saw it in a pamphlet and thought it would be fun - not realising how far away it was. My husband loves looking around these places so where are the ones that were mentioned in San Francisco and how long would it take to get there - same requests, instructions from Downtown. That is if they weren't miles away. Also where is a good suburban shopping mall that is on the bus route with all the cheaper shops like Walmart. It might seem strange coming all this way and want to shop but it is enjoyable seeing what is to offer elsewhere.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco to San Jose market

I try not to know where the Walmarts are, to tell you the truth.

There is a shopping center that is easily accessible that has a Target, Sears, JC Penney's and smaller shops. This is Tanforan shopping Center. You can get there via BART from downtown, just get off at the San Bruno station:

bart.gov/stations/…localAreaMap_SBRN.asp

theshopsattanforan.com/html/storedirectory.a…

You can use BART's "Quick Planner" on its site to see how frequently the trains run, etc.

I think the last time a pair of kiwi shoppers asked about Walmart I sent them to Mountain View via Caltrain. You get off at the San Antonio station, and then it's a bit of a walk, but not terrible if you're fit. Try doing a keyword search for "Walmart" and "Caltrain." It will likely pop up.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,015 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco to San Jose market

I have never shopped at Wal-Mart. Am I normal? I think the closest one is in Oakland. But I do go to Costco, and there is a Costco on the BART SFO line, next to the South San Francisco station. There is also a Trader Joe's grocery. Then, if you feel like a stroll, you can walk up El Camino Real to admire the cemeteries of Colma, the world's premier modern necropolis.

The Colma-Daly City area is one of the retail meccas of the Peninsula. A huge part of their revenue comes from shopping centers (Westlake Mall, Serramonte and a couple of adjoining smaller centers, Metro 280, and Colma Auto Row, one of the biggest in the Bay Area). Daly City or Colma has everything from Macy's to Cost Plus, Home Depot to Office Depot--but no big flea market. It's paradise for anyone who loves to shop. But you might need a car to hop quickly from place to place and transport everything you can't resist buying.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,696 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Francisco to San Jose market

The Bayshore Flea Market is behind Bernal Heights. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to get there with public transportation... I've always walked or take the car. Anybody else?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,015 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Francisco to San Jose market

That area is not very well served by public transit. The only MUNI line I'm aware of within reasonable distance is the 67 Bernal Heights. It goes from the 24th Street BART Station and over to Folsom, down to Bernal Hill along the east side to the Farmers' Market, and back north on Mission.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: San Francisco to San Jose market

F*****_Roadrunner said «I have never shopped at Wal-Mart.»

I was forced to, in Henderson, half of the two I've ever seen, as it was the only place open to get a quart of milk.

«there is a Costco . . . South San Francisco station.»

Why leave town? Isn't that Costco on Tenth Street?

«There is also a Trader Joe's»

Why leave town? Isn't that Trader Joe's on Ninth Street?

«Daly City or Colma has everything from Macy's to Cost Plus»

Why leave town? Macy's has two stores here (three if you count Bloomingdale's) and Cost Plus is still at The Wharf.

«Home Depot to Office Depot»

Ah, I think neither of those is here but we have plenty of hardware, building supply, and office supply stores.