We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Option for Single Person Airport to Hotel Transfer

Hampshire
Level Contributor
13 posts
137 reviews
Best Option for Single Person Airport to Hotel Transfer

Arriving at San Francisco International at about 6.30 pm on a weekday and need to get from airport to “Inn at the Opera” hotel at 333 Fulton Street. Any advice welcomed. Heard BART is a good option for senior citizen - if so, which station should I leave at. Don’t want too much of a walk with my bags. Thanks in advance. Kenny

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,378 Reviews
from US$105.00*
Best Seller
San Francisco Super Saver: Muir Woods...
1,830 Reviews
from US$126.00*
Special Offer
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods, and...
2,652 Reviews
from US$61.20*
US$68.00
7 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,046 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Best Option for Single Person Airport to Hotel Transfer

Kenny, you can get BART to the Civic Center station and only have a short walk (ten minutes or less) to your hotel, but be aware this walk is through a pretty seedy part of town. Lots of homeless, lots of addicts, etc. And depending on time of year, 6:30pm could be dark. There will be plenty of people around though. If you're not comfortable with that, you could just get a taxi.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
30,224 posts
2. Re: Best Option for Single Person Airport to Hotel Transfer

If it were me, Id take Uber or Lyft. If it were one of my Senior parents, Id suggest they take Uber/Lyft.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
21,231 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: Best Option for Single Person Airport to Hotel Transfer

BART is a good option if your hotel is closer to a BART station or the BART station isn't Civic Center. Unless money is your absolute priority, I'd take wingz/Lyft/Uber (wingz.me is a flat rate ride that can be booked in advance) which will take you from the airport to your door. You could also use Uber Pool or the Lyft equivalent for a shared ride (cheaper).

Edited: 23 January 2018, 22:58
Level Contributor
3,134 posts
1 review
4. Re: Best Option for Single Person Airport to Hotel Transfer

It is about 1/2 mile from the Civic Center BART station to Inn at the Opera. Depending on the amount of baggage you have, that may be more a walk than you want to attempt.

I have a friend who lives on the same block as the Inn and I'm always a bit concerned about him using that station after dark (he's slightly disabled). But I suppose it's more seedy than dangerous (and it is very seedy, even inside the station). But if you choose (or while you are staying there), you will want to use the Grove St. exit from the station, walk along Grove to Franklin, turn right, walk a block to Fulton and the hotel will be just to your left.

It's about $10 for BART. Wingz or similar will be around $40. I would say worth the extra for door-to-door service.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
13 posts
137 reviews
5. Re: Best Option for Single Person Airport to Hotel Transfer

Thanks for helpful advice. Kenny

Hampshire
Level Contributor
13 posts
137 reviews
6. Re: Best Option for Single Person Airport to Hotel Transfer

Many thanks. I’ll use Wingz. Kenny

R K
Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
645 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Best Option for Single Person Airport to Hotel Transfer

You say you are a senior citizen. If you are 65 or older and plan to take BART, stop at the info desk at the airport and buy a senior BART ticket for $9. It will be loaded with $24 worth of fare, more than enough to get you to Civic Center and back again (and even if you only use it one way, it's still cheaper!). Note this is valid on BART only - not MUNI or other transit operators.

Reply to: Best Option for Single Person Airport to Hotel Transfer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted