We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samuel Taylor State Park vs Muir Woods

New Haven, Indiana...
Level Contributor
224 posts
169 reviews
Samuel Taylor State Park vs Muir Woods

Muir Woods sounds like a bit of a hassle with the new reservation system so I was wondering how Samuel Taylor stacks up as far as seeing the redwoods? We will be staying in the Pt. Reyes area for 2 days. Thank you!

8 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
3,385 posts
1 review
1. Re: Samuel Taylor State Park vs Muir Woods

The trees at Samuel Taylor aren't "old growth" if that's important. There are also a lot of other types of trees. It's a large park that you drive through on Sir Francis Drake Blvd. More convenient to Point Reyes,

But the atmosphere at Muir is hard to beat. I haven't made a reservation for Muir but they're available online. Of course it locks you into a time.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
59,269 posts
149 reviews
2. Re: Samuel Taylor State Park vs Muir Woods

The other option if you plan to go to the Sonoma area from Pt Reyes is Armstrong Redwoods

New Haven, Indiana...
Level Contributor
224 posts
169 reviews
3. Re: Samuel Taylor State Park vs Muir Woods

Madeline - thank you! Yes, that "time lock" does make it a little harder to plan. Samuel Taylor does work better for our plan but I feel like we are missing out if we don't go to Muir.....decisions, decisions!

Belomiser - I appreciate your suggestion but I'm not sure we will have time to make it that far. After our 2 days in Pt. Reyes, we have to head back to SFO to fly home.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
8,431 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Samuel Taylor State Park vs Muir Woods

Samuel Taylor has a nice campground and picnic area. If it's foggy on the coast, Samuel Taylor is often fog free. Here's a good website that describes the hikes in the various redwood parks.

http://www.redwoodhikes.com/

New Haven, Indiana...
Level Contributor
224 posts
169 reviews
5. Re: Samuel Taylor State Park vs Muir Woods

Sonapaoma - Thank you for that link, that is really helpful!!

San Francisco...
1 post
6. Re: Samuel Taylor State Park vs Muir Woods

Muir Woods is a fine place to visit, but honestly, the crowds and hassle take a lot away from what would otherwise be a tranquil and beautiful setting. If your time is limited and you don't want to be locked in to a set time to visit Muir Woods, tell your friends about the fabulous redwoods in Samuel P Taylor, or hike the Meadow trail at nearby Roy's Redwoods. The Inkwells is a fun and beautiful natural swimming hole right by Samuel P Taylor, an easy stop right by the main road, Sir Francisco Drake. …blogspot.com/2009/05/ink-wells.html

sf
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
7. Re: Samuel Taylor State Park vs Muir Woods

Go with Samuel P Taylor, since it's on your way to Pt. Reyes

New Haven, Indiana...
Level Contributor
224 posts
169 reviews
8. Re: Samuel Taylor State Park vs Muir Woods

johntrev8 - This is great information! I'm convinced now that we will skip Muir and check out these other options.

Reply to: Samuel Taylor State Park vs Muir Woods
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted