We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4th of July

3 posts
Save Topic
4th of July

Please give input on seeing the sights on July the 4th including fireworks!! We know it will be a long day but that's what we've got! Staying near the Cliff House and initial thoughts are public transportation into the tourist "wedge" and go from there...

Mentioned in this post
Cliff House
Cliff House
1,642 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
9 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
2,265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 4th of July

There are activities around Fisherman's Wharf during the day. That's where the fireworks are set off. I don't know where you're from, but small towns have more July 4 experiences than large cities. The Alameda County fair usually has stuff going on but it's all the way in Pleasanton.

Why stay all the way out at the Cliff House? That will be a long haul into downtown. Staying with friends/family?

Mentioned in this post
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
16,238 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Alameda
Alameda
California
Pleasanton
Pleasanton
Tri-Valley, CA
Cliff House
Cliff House
1,642 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4th of July

What kind of input do you need? I'd start by deciding what you'll do for the day besides fireworks.

Some things will be closed, but many open still.

Have you read the top questions about what to see and do? It will be on the right column in a non-mobile browser.

The transit system and probably also car traffic will be overwhelmed after the fireworks. You may need to be patient or wait a while before going back to the hotel by the ocean.

In the past when I've gone to fireworks I've just walked 2 or 3 miles home because it was faster and less stressful than other options. I lived more centrally at that time.

Staying where you are, give yourself well over an hour or 90 minutes to get back after fireworks. Even at best times, it's a 40 to 60 minute commute to downtown on transit from there.

Edited: 23 March 2018, 16:27
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,216 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4th of July

Regarding the fireworks . . . they are set off over the bay and you should be aware that there is the possibility of fog rendering the show "a blur." At least once when I went to watch them basically most of the "show" was colored bursts of light in low cloud cover (still kinda neat, but hardly a fireworks show like most people think of).

That's my $.02,

hlo

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,127 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4th of July

I'd plan to stay in the Wharf area after the fireworks, maybe have a late dinner... it takes at least an hour before transit and traffic begin moving normally.

There are very few Fourth of July events around the city. Pier 39 at the Wharf will have music and entertainment throughout the day as people gather for the fireworks, but that's about it.

Mentioned in this post
The Wharf Inn
The Wharf Inn
955 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 4th of July

We need input regarding the day time hours...sounds like we will rethink the whole fireworks thing. Staring early in the day, the thoughts were public transportation into town and sight see all day! Golden Gate Bridge-Lombard Street- China Town- Fisherman Wharf- Union Square etc. Is this even realistic?

Mentioned in this post
Golden Gate Bridge
Golden Gate Bridge
43,364 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Lombard Street
Lombard Street
14,567 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
16,238 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Union Square
Union Square
1,885 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4th of July

Normally 4th of July is really cold as the evening approaches. Really - as in puffy jacket and gloves cold. Do keep in mind that transportation after the fireworks is usually pretty terrible - as there are tons of people attempting to vacate the same area. So surge pricing for Uber and Lyft will be in effect, taxis will be hard to come by - and public transit will be crowded.

Every once in a while there is a bizarrely perfect and warm night with no fog. The last time this happened we decided to hire onto a boat to watch the fireworks from the Bay. I never get seasick, but I really did that night. I spent the horrific journey trying not to hurl, while some drunk guy kept urging me on to just let it go over the side. Two minutes on land I was back to normal.

7. Re: 4th of July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 March 2018, 01:05

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,127 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4th of July

>>We need input regarding the day time hours... Golden Gate Bridge-Lombard Street- China Town- Fisherman Wharf- Union Square etc. Is this even realistic?<<

The only place there is holiday-specific daytime activity is Fisherman's Wharf, as crowds focus on the Wharf and northern waterfront and build up throughout the day in anticipation of the fireworks. Transit still runs normally, and it should be pretty typical (albeit crowded) at the other places you mention.

Mentioned in this post
Golden Gate Bridge
Golden Gate Bridge
43,364 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Lombard Street
Lombard Street
14,567 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
16,238 Reviews