We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother/Son Trip... a few questions

Prattville, Alabama
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Mother/Son Trip... a few questions

My oldest child and only son is graduating from college and we are taking one last trip together before he starts his new job and adulting full time. We are flying into SF May 5th and flying out May 11th. I am thinking we will stay in SF until the 8th and then head West to Yosemite for a few days before returning to SF on the 11th to depart. The things we are interested in around SF are winery tours and Muir Woods. Neither of us care too much about the actual city, except maybe to hit a comedy club and a cool restaurant in the evening. Around Yosemite, we are mostly interested in seeing huge amazing trees, anything breathtakingly beautiful, and hiking. It seems that most of the lodging actually inside the park is booked already. I've also read that several roads are still closed in early May. I'm not sure where is the best place to stay considering that and also considering we need to drive back to SF the morning of the 11th to catch an afternoon flight.

A few questions:

1. In SF, should we immediately rent a car at the airport and drive ourselves to the wineries and Muir woods, OR should we just Uber/Lyft around town and book Muir and wineries with a tour company who picks you up? If we go with the 2nd option, we would just rent a car on the 8th and head out to Yosemite.

2. Best comedy club(s) in SF and cool restaurants?

3. Where should we stay around Yosemite based on coming from SF, what we want to see, and needing to drive back to SF?

4. What is must see in Yosemite that will be open/accessible in early May?

Thanks everyone, in advance, for any advice!

Mentioned in this post
6 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother/Son Trip... a few questions

You should spend some time in the Napa/Sonoma and Yosemite forums for specific answers to those questions. For San Francisco, you are simply looking for a comedy club and a cool restaurant.

Cobb's Comedy Club is the biggee in town. I haven't been in over 20 years.

For cool restaurants, what does that mean to you? Maybe Foreign Cinema?

Mentioned in this post
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
Sonoma
Sonoma
Sonoma County, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Cobb's Comedy Club
Cobb's Comedy Club
70 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Foreign Cinema
Foreign Cinema
848 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,073 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother/Son Trip... a few questions

<<<I am thinking we will stay in SF until the 8th and then head West to Yosemite>>>

Heading West will take you into the Pacific Ocean :-)

As for restaurants, so many maybe provide spme more details?

Mentioned in this post
Prattville, Alabama
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother/Son Trip... a few questions

HA! I guess I have heading West on my mind.

Nothing fancy, it could even be a food truck or a hole in the wall. Something with a cool view maybe? Or live music?

Edited: 23 March 2018, 23:39
Level Contributor
2,265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother/Son Trip... a few questions

If I read your itinerary correctly you'll have 2 full days in SF plus the tag end of your arrival day. But during that time you want to go to Muir and wine country ... ? Since you say you're not that interested in the city, I'd buzz up to wine country and stay there. Redwood trees are also on display at Armstrong Grove in Sonoma county (no parking reservation required there as there is at Muir).

No need to incur expensive SF lodging for an evening at a comedy club (which aren't that big here anyway).

Mentioned in this post
Sonoma County
Sonoma County
California
buenos aires...
Level Contributor
2,183 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mother/Son Trip... a few questions

Beach Blanket Babylon is a fantastic music and comedy experience. It has been at its North Beach location for decades and is up dated often...

Mentioned in this post
Beach Blanket Babylon
Beach Blanket Babylon
1,875 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
North Beach
North Beach
264 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mother/Son Trip... a few questions

If you fly in at a reasonable time so you avoid hitting horrible rush hour traffic, I would just drive directly to to your first destination in Wine Country.

Maybe you can have an afternoon or evening in San Francisco to have a meal and go to a comedy show the evening before you fly out.

I'd check in the other forums for specifics outside of San Francisco.

Cobb's has the bigger comedy names that tour through. In addition to the cost of the show, plan for buying drinks since they usually have a two drink minimum which is about $20 per person for two of the less expensive drinks on their menu.

Punch Line is another club and they often have more less known or up-and-coming comedians. They also have the two drink minimum but seem more flexible about enforcing it or might count food items toward it if you're polite.

There are always random other events around SF which tend to be more local and sometimes more amateur. For discount tickets a site like goldstar.com has some discounts.

Maybe if you're going to Cobb's, look at eating dinner somewhere in North Beach if you're going to an 8-ish show after.

It's a shame you won't see much of San Francisco, since I think it's a beautiful and vibrant place in its own right, but you should certainly do the things that interest you most since it's your vacation.

Edited: 24 March 2018, 02:06
Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
North Beach
North Beach
264 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Reply to: Mother/Son Trip... a few questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted