We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking advice

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Parking advice

Hi,

I'm visiting SF in a couple of weeks and need to part our hire car. I've started to look online to book a space for 48hrs (Spothero, bestparking.com).

It's the first time I have used such booking sites and am concerned with spending $80 on a 'random' choice'. Could anyone recommend a booking site which is generally considered 'better' than others?

Many thanks

Nick

15 replies to this topic
Silicon Valley, Ca
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
58 reviews
1. Re: Parking advice

Do you really need to keep the rental car while in SF?

Are the days in SF free? Even if they aren‘t, you might be better off turning it in, giving the cost and hassles of parking.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Parking advice

Thanks.. I already did the analysis and the price difference was marginal between 2 x one way rentals and paying for parking.

We decided to keep the car so just need to find best parking solution.

Out intent is to park for the duration and use public transport whilst in the city.

Nick

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
59,398 posts
149 reviews
3. Re: Parking advice

These parking companies are a service. They negotiate with parking lots and come up with deals for under utilized parking. Not sure one can say one is better I use park whiz. But does not mean it is better. What do you mean by random choice ?

You do see reviews for that specific garage or you can yelp that spot and read reviews.

No one can guarantee safety. Having an employee on site is better. Do not leave anything in the car

Honestly with the car break ins in SF. I think not having a car outweighs anything with just cost differential

Why not stay at a hotel on Lombard street with parking included

Edited: 26 March 2018, 14:48
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,193 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: Parking advice

What hotel are you staying in? How much do they charge for parking?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
30,534 posts
5. Re: Parking advice

Ive never used a booking site but often before I moved here I stayed in SF with a rental car and would park at the 5th and Mission lot while staying at the Marriott Marquis. Its only $34 per 24 hours, altjough Id usually take the car in/out so Id pay more than if it was just parked. Where is your hotel?

http://www.fifthandmission.com/prices.htm

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Parking advice

Hi,

Thanks all.

@goodbeer - I'm currently staying at the Holiday Inn Express Fishermans Wharf so the 5th and Mission lot is not ideal. The hotel does have Valet parking at $54 per night but your $34 per night would save us quite a lot.

I could switch hotel to the Intercontinental, Hilton or Holiday Inn Express Union Square which are all nearer the lot you mention - I'm staying using reward points so the hotel price is unimportant!

Definitely food for thought!

Level Contributor
3,484 posts
1 review
7. Re: Parking advice

I'm sure there is a garage closer to the Wharf than the 5th & Mish garage.

There's one on Francisco Street (22 Francisco?) that is somewhat reasonable -- I think they give multi day deals to cruise ship passengers.

There is also a garage on Bay Street at the Safeway, although I don't know if it allows overnight parking.

The North Beach garage on Vallejo Street isn't too far away. And it's right across the street from Northern PD station!

OTOH, if you're not paying for the room, the parking charge sounds extremely reasonable!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
59,398 posts
149 reviews
8. Re: Parking advice

so why don't you use the app and find parking close to where you are staying. Why do you need to change hotels to park at 5th and mission?

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
44 reviews
9. Re: Parking advice

The parking lot by the Safeway (Bay x Mason) is $36 for 24 hours.

Level Contributor
3,484 posts
1 review
10. Re: Parking advice

Thanks for that! I that that's as good as it'll get in that area.

Be sure to take everything out of the car (don't leave so much as a piece of paper visible).

Reply to: Parking advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted