We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When can we fit in Muir Woods on our 4 day trip?

Level Contributor
48 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
When can we fit in Muir Woods on our 4 day trip?

Here is my itinerary so far. I am trying to find an open time to go to Muir Woods and get a parking pass. As of right now, it is my only tentative site to visit.

Monday - Drive from LA to SF at 5am, break for breakfast, arrive in SF around 1pm.

GG and Muir Woods for the afternoon/sunset?

Tuesday - Early Bird Alcatraz, home for lunch.

GG and Muir Woods for the afternoon/sunset?

Wednesday - GG/Muir Woods in the 8am?

Baseball game in the afternoon.

Thursday - Check out of hotel.

8am - GG/Muir Woods?

1pm-Drive home to LA

Thanks!

Self-Guided Bike Rentals from San...
38 Reviews
from US$32.00*
Free Cancellation
Coastal Marin Headlands Hike from San...
4 Reviews
from US$85.00*
Free Cancellation
4-Hour Walking Tour of the Sausalito...
from US$55.00*
Free Cancellation
7 replies to this topic
San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When can we fit in Muir Woods on our 4 day trip?

The answer is: Yes.

sf
Level Contributor
3,635 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: When can we fit in Muir Woods on our 4 day trip?

A few things to note: 5hrs is not enough time to drive fro m LA to SF even using Highway 5-think more like 7-8 if stopping.

Muir Woods needs a reservation to park your car, which you need to do in advance.

Hopefully you already bought your Alcatraz tickets.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,529 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When can we fit in Muir Woods on our 4 day trip?

Muir woods is best as early in the AM as possible. It is magical then Unfortunately you cannot then combine that with the GGB sunset. But I think you should do Muir AM and sunsets while being beautiful from Marin Headlands - was there last evening -- can be seen say from another part of SF perhaps Landsend if you plan on going there

Mentioned in this post
Marin Headlands
Marin Headlands
1,825 Reviews
Marin County, CA
Level Contributor
48 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When can we fit in Muir Woods on our 4 day trip?

If morning is the best, then would it be possible to fit it in on the same day as baseball? That seems like a lot in one day...but reviews say Muir woods is an easy site to visit.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,226 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When can we fit in Muir Woods on our 4 day trip?

??? By my calculation the OP has allocated ~8 hours for the LA to SF drive (5 am to 1 pm), which sounds about right to me. (I do agree that 5 hours is not enough, but also remember friend who drove it regularly for a while claiming something like 5 or 6 hours when they put the pedal to the metal.)

I also agree that Muir is probably best in the morning (partly to be there before the crowds arrive), but I also see some advantage to "checking off" it and GG Bridge on the first day. That said, rush hour traffic could be a potential issue with this idea. If you're going to be heading that way closer to 1:00 (before or after checking in), then there probably isn't any issue, but if you're talking about more like 4:00 or so then I would expect traffic leaving the city to make this drive (particularly at the bridge itself) *much* more time consuming and less desirable (IMO).

That's my $.02,

hlo

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
36,721 posts
599 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When can we fit in Muir Woods on our 4 day trip?

"Wednesday - GG/Muir Woods in the 8am?"

This would be my choice depending on what time the baseball game is in the afternoon.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When can we fit in Muir Woods on our 4 day trip?

I'd expect you could visit Muir Woods, the GG Bridge and be back in SF in 2 to 3 hours after your parking reservation time at Muir Woods. I don't believe even a noon baseball game would be out of the question if you went to Muir at 8.

If you wanted to go a different day it would be fine. Perhaps the parking reservation system is also helping to limit some of the recent overcrowding, too (I haven't been since they implemented it). It's probably good they've done this because it was a mess to get there at many times with cars backed up a long way causing traffic jams, stress and anger. People were sometimes turned away after traveling out of their way to go there. Last time we went, we parked in another area and hiked in because of no parking, even along the road leading there.

At least this way if someone bothers to plan ahead they will have a much better experience.

Any of your slots for Muir could work, imo, just get your parking reservation.

Reply to: When can we fit in Muir Woods on our 4 day trip?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted