We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boondocking san francisco

San Francisco...
1 post
Save Topic
Boondocking san francisco

Hi, after searching a lot i am a bit confusing about boondocking in SF. Seems that you have 72 hours to be parked until police can fine you, but i guess they can fine you before. I dont know how are the laws now( as i have read advice and tips to boondocking in SF but in 2007 ). I have checked this areas to overnight:

Sausalito seems a safe place to overnight

Rest area in the south crystal springs and rest area golden gate north

Palo alto

Golden gate park

Kmart redwood city

Oackland industrial area

As i travel with my family we need a safe place and we can not afford to pay a RV park in SF.

All advices are welcome, also if somebody has a park where we can overnight would be nice ;)

Mentioned in this post
Sausalito
Sausalito
Marin County, CA
Palo Alto
Palo Alto
California
Golden Gate Park
Golden Gate Park
8,640 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
7 replies to this topic
Richmond, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boondocking san francisco

Don’t bring an RV into San Francisco. It’s a terrible idea. Our streets are not meant for RVs. Also, you would be making life harder for people who live and work here by taking up parking spaces that they need. I don’t know how else to say this, but if you don’t want to pay for RV parking, you perhaps shouldn’t take this trip.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
980 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Boondocking san francisco

golden gate park is dangerous at night,the park police will move you on,you can park outside the park on either side,one st is fulton the other is Lincoln way watch out for street cleaning and signs that say no vehicals over 22 feet,car break ins are high near the park during the day

Level Contributor
6,002 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boondocking san francisco

Read the many posts regarding car break-ins in SF.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,215 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boondocking san francisco

>>Seems that you have 72 hours to be parked until police can fine you<<

The key word is 'parked'... an empty vehicle parked in a legal spot. Not someone living in said vehicle (much less a family).

The best outcome you can hope for is that you don't come to the attention of either bad guys or police. If you park on a residential street, I guarantee you will come to the attention of neighbors who will bring you to the attention of police.

>>As i travel with my family we need a safe place and we can not afford to pay a RV park in SF.<<

Then I think perhaps you should skip SF as a destination. (There are no RV parks in SF, in any case, even if cost weren't a concern.) Even if you were to stay at the RV park in Pacifica, you'd either have to drive into the city or take public transportation -- either of which would be a hassle and some significant added cost.)

Mentioned in this post
Pacifica
Pacifica
California
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,680 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boondocking san francisco

Your place of residence shows San Francisco. What gives? Are you trying to figure out a way to live less expensively in the area?

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Boondocking san francisco

This question was asked and answered on 3/27. samtheexpert decided to resurrect it this morning.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Boondocking san francisco

"As i travel with my family we need a safe place and we can not afford to pay a RV park in SF."

If budget is that much of a concern, there are probably cheaper ways to travel than renting an RV.

Reply to: Boondocking san francisco
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted