We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus trips to Yosemite and Grand Canyon

Centurion
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bus trips to Yosemite and Grand Canyon

Please help. We will be visiting the States in Sept and want to spend a few days in San Fran and then do a bus trip - anything from 3 to 7 days to Yosemite and Grand Canyon. The only tours I can find are Take Tours, Tours 4 Fun, Lassen and Globerouter and their reviews are all bad. It seems as if they are all run by the same company and that they have mainly Chinese tourists and Chinese speaking guides that do some English. Where can I find a reliable company that has English guides and is affordable? We do not need fancy? Thanks Ann

Mentioned in this post
8 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,415 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus trips to Yosemite and Grand Canyon

no idea -- this is a DIY forum. We can help with tours to yosemite -- there is a list in our top questions on that

IF you want to go to Grand Canyon. Fly to vegas or Phoenix and rent a car or find a tour from there NOT from SF

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Level Contributor
2,265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus trips to Yosemite and Grand Canyon

I've never heard of a good tour that encompasses Yosemite and Grand Canyon. There's a lot of territory to cover to get between the two. As belomiser indicates, there are tours to Yosemite that start and end in SF. There may be similar for the Grand Canyon leaving from Vegas. That would be a question for the Vegas forum.

The only decent bus tour company doing US tours that I've ever heard of is Tauck. A friend of mine has done a few of theirs. Wouldn't be the way I'd travel but it works for them.

Mentioned in this post
Richmond, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,596 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus trips to Yosemite and Grand Canyon

I’d let go of the Grand Canyon idea. It’s just too far away for a viable short tour from SF.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,567 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus trips to Yosemite and Grand Canyon

I have read that Chinese tourists like to see a lot in a short time, and do not mind a hurried pace that covers a lot of ground. So the tours you mention are geared to that style of travel, which most of us here would not recommend.

Some of the highly-regarded tour companies for US travel are Tauck, Collette, and Road Scholar. I do not think any of them combine Yosemite and Grand Canyon in one short trip, as it makes no sense in terms of travel times. Generally Yosemite is included in California tours, while Grand Canyon is included n tours of the Southwest national parks, including Utah. And most of these tours are longer than 3-7 days. Here, for instance, is one offered by Collette for the Grand Canyon area.

gocollette.com/en/…pageviewsbylanguage

Much longer than you want. So in your short time-frame you will either have to choose just one destination, or see Yosemite on a tour from San Francisco ( often one-day rushed tours) and then fly to Las Vegas and book an overnight tour to the Grand Canyon from there. If you domthat, make sure the lodging included is inside Grand Canyon National Park, not in the town of Tusayan.

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Utah
Utah
United States
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Tusayan
Tusayan
Arizona
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,127 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus trips to Yosemite and Grand Canyon

Three days would only be to Yosemite from SF... not enough time to drive to the Grand Canyon and back as well. For all the reasons mentioned above, this is not something common or practical. You might check out Green Tortoise to see what they have, but it's a step (or half-step) above camping, aimed at the young backpacker crowd.

For Yosemite, look at Extranomical Tours.

Mentioned in this post
Green Tortoise Hostel - San Francisco
Green Tortoise Hostel...
784 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Extranomical Tours
Extranomical Tours
2,129 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus trips to Yosemite and Grand Canyon

Also, I would look at G Adventures as they have a couple of trips you might do.

There is San Fransisco to Yosemite to Las Vegas. Then you could do a day trip or longer from Las Vegas.

https:/…

https:/…

Mentioned in this post
LA
Level Contributor
11,344 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus trips to Yosemite and Grand Canyon

Dont know your age, but might look at Green Tortoise if you are up for an adventure

Other than that, I'd recommend two different tours: One from SF to Yosemite & back

The second: Fly to Las Vegas & get one of the Grand Canyon tours from there

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,127 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus trips to Yosemite and Grand Canyon

>>Fly to Las Vegas & get one of the Grand Canyon tours from there<<

Agree, and be aware that if you do a day trip to the Canyon from Las Vegas, make sure it goes to the actual Grand Canyon National Park. There is a privately-owned "Grand Canyon West" that is generally the destination for those quick day tours. While you still have views of a part of the Canyon, you won't have the iconic views you've seen in movies and documentaries. Along with gimmicks like the glass viewing platform.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Bus trips to Yosemite and Grand Canyon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted