We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daily spending money

Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Daily spending money

Hi Everyone,

We are travelling to the west coast Sept/Oct 2019 our current itinerary is below.

My question is how much spending money should I allow each day, we are 2 adults and an 11yr old child, I don’t plan on skimping but just as a guide want to make sure we have enough.

Sydney

3 night San Francisco

Drive to LA via PCH

1 night Carmel

1 night Santa Barbara

2 nights Disneyland

Fly to Vegas

3 nights in Las Vegas

Fly to LA

3 nights Hollywood

Fly to Mexico

4 nights in Can Cun (full board all inclusive)

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,373 Reviews
from US$105.00*
Best Seller
San Francisco Super Saver: Muir Woods...
1,822 Reviews
from US$126.00*
Special Offer
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods, and...
2,642 Reviews
from US$61.20*
US$68.00
17 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Daily spending money

It's very difficult to answer without knowing anything about your travel style and where you like to eat, how you like to travel etc.

A couple of things though... Three nights in Vegas with an 11 year old sounds way too much. Also, why Cancun? It will take you most of a day to get there. There are resorts on this side of Mexico too!

Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Daily spending money

As we are coming from Australia, we would like to see as many out of the ordinary places as possible.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,039 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Daily spending money

you did make sure you booked your SF portion when NOT during a large convention, as the rates will skyrocket?

we've been asked this question before. does this have something to do with your atm/debit card? if so, do a search on the forum to find out. or can you use your credit card? are you asking about food? or about food, gas, lodging, souvenirs? for SF, you may want to do a MUNI visitor pass or do a $5 a day - without cable car - per adult via MUNI app. for disney go to the LA forum to see a budget. it's Cancun.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,603 posts
149 reviews
4. Re: Daily spending money

3 N Vegas with a kid. By the way posting the same post in multiple forums within CA would be considered duplicate

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
49 reviews
5. Re: Daily spending money

Vegas is not a place to bring kids as a tourist. Especially not for three nights. And Cancun is on the other side of the continent! You could easily have the exact same experience on the west coast of Mexico without flying 5/6 hours to get there!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,659 posts
71 reviews
6. Re: Daily spending money

Hi,

I don't know about "spending money". Lots of folks from the UK and Oz seem to ask about that and I don't understand since when I travel I have an ATM/debit card with me to withdraw local currency and I have a credit card. That way I don't worry about not have enough money.

As for Cancun, I disagree with most of the posters here as I prefer the Caribbean side of Mexico to the Pacific Coast although they are correct that it is a longer way to go to experience Mexico! The trouble is that it sounds like you have booked an AI(all inclusive) in Mexico which may give you a relaxing time but won't allow you to experience the Mexican culture at all since you'll be just inside your hotel.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
50 reviews
7. Re: Daily spending money

What I do is budget for the highest costs possible (that I can afford) and usually end up spending far less per day, as you'll find ways to save money here & there.

Actually, people bring children of all ages, including infants & toddlers to Las Vegas - all the time. I was shocked seeing all the families in Vegas, but it's really common these days.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
30,171 posts
8. Re: Daily spending money

Im with Riff, I have no idea how much money a stranger will spend, I was in Austin last weekend, heading to Eugene this weekend, I have absolutely no clue how much money I will spend, I dont even know how much I spent last weekend so not sure how to answer for someone else. Will you have 2 drinks on day 5 or will it be 6 drinks? Will you eat at a nice restaurant the day you arrive or hit In N Out?

Level Contributor
196 posts
9. Re: Daily spending money

i say 300 or 350 $ is good for 3 nights in san fran and LA

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,828 posts
47 reviews
10. Re: Daily spending money

Just as a very general rule for budgeting purposes, I usually recommend $100 per person per day, give or take.

Reply to: Daily spending money
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted