We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prioritizing Free 1st Tues./Month Museums, Transportation ?s

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Prioritizing Free 1st Tues./Month Museums, Transportation ?s

I want to see as many museums as I can on the free admission 1st Tuesday of the month deal. Will the crowds be terrible (it's the Tuesday after Labor Day)? I know nothing about San Francisco public transportation and am staying at the Downtown Marriott. Will I be able to get from the De Young Museum to the Legion of Honor (how would I find a bus/trolley route to do this)? Should I plan on much extra time just waiting for and using public transportation when I'm trying to get from one museum to another?

Of the following free 1st Tuesday of the month attractions, which would you rate as "must sees" vs. "don't waste your time" and if I'm not dawdling, how much time should I allot for some of these attractions? My husband (who's not a big museum fan like I am) will have free time from about noon on after a conference gets out. Are there certain ones I should wait to take him to? It's too bad they don't have longer opening hours. Thanks for the help!

De Young Museum (9:30-5) and Conservatory of Flowers (9-4:30)(both in Golden Gate Park)

Legion of Honor (9:30-5) (Lincoln Park)

Cartoon Art Museum (11-5)

Museum of Craft and Folk Art (11-6) (by my hotel)

Asian Art Museum (10-5) (1 mile from my hotel)

San Francisco Museum of Modern Art 11-5:45) (by my hotel)

Yerba Buena Center for the Arts (12-5) (by my hotel)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prioritizing Free 1st Tues./Month Museums, Transportation ?s

Either you have a lot of energy or you are extremely frugal. That is a lot of culture to absorb! It's hard to say what might be a waste of time, but here is an order they can be put in. You could drop one or more along the way. Most of these are very busy on free day, so you may get bogged down.

Craft, Cartoon, Yerba Buena, and MOMA are all in the same area, very near your hotel. I would hit MOMA right at 11, when it opens. There can be a wait to get in. The others are less crowded.

Walk to Market, get the 5 Fulton bus to the Asian Museum.

Re board the 5, outbound, to Fulton/Arguello. Enter the Park. This takes you behind the Conservatory. After your speed visit (again there may be a wait), walk west on JFK in the park, to the DeYoung. You could do this in reverse order if you wish. Go to 8th Ave/Fulton. Board the 5, again to Fulton/La Playa. Transfer to the 18 bus, which terminates at the Legion of Honor. When finished get the back on the 18 and get off at the Cliff House. Have a drink. You will need it!

My favs are MOMA, DeYoung, Conservatory, and the Legion. Maybe hubby can join you in the latter half, with the promise of refreshment coaxing him on. If you go to the DeYoung, don't miss the tower. It has a nice view. Their cafe is pretty nice as well.

Realistically, you are going to have to make some cuts. You have probably about a seven hour window.

Here is the route of the 5

…berkeley.edu/MuniMap/…

lineNum=5

Here is the 18

…berkeley.edu/MuniMap/…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Prioritizing Free 1st Tues./Month Museums, Transportation ?s

Kudos to girasol for an excellent post. This is quite a day for 'em.

kcowley said «I know nothing about San Francisco public transportation»

The FLAG/MAPS page geocities.com/touringsfo/…FlagMaps.html has links to the best on-line MAP of San Francisco, the outstanding WALKER/BICYCLIST map that shows the steepness of our streets. The new version of the formerly superb map created for the San Francisco Municipal Railway has removed many streets' names making it less useful. It's cluttered with our many bus, cable car, street car, and bus routes. There is also a map of our CABLE CAR ROUTES, our 49-mile SCENIC DRIVE, and a superb map of GOLDEN GATE PARK.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,888 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prioritizing Free 1st Tues./Month Museums, Transportation ?s

This is a huge amount to bite off for one day. Reading this post and your other one about the Golden Gate Bridge and Sausalito, I can see you're looking forward to coming here and want to make the most of your time. But you may end up needing a vacation later to recuperate from this one!

Here's an insider tip that might help, if you have to split your museum visits into more than one day. I would actually suggest that, because too much art of widely diverse genres and media on one day can be overwhelming.

The same admission is valid for both the De Young and the Legion of Honor on the same day. Also, Muni riders get a $2 discount at those two museums when they show their transit pass or transfer.

So you might want to do the other freebies on Tuesday and save the De Young and Legion of Honor. These are big places with grand collections and they could easily fill a whole day (or more). Have lunch at one of them to fortify you for the afternoon.

And now....could you do me a tiny favor? Can you find either a postal or e-mail address for the Orchestra and Chorus of Sandy City? Their website has no contact info and I found that a friend I'd lost touch with is now part of it. Thanks! :)

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prioritizing Free 1st Tues./Month Museums, Transportation ?s

Frisco Roadrunner--

You wanted contact info. for the Orchestra and Chorus of Sandy City. They're not listed in the phone book but if you wanted to contact their conductor, Joel Rosenberg, his # is listed as 801-581-0113.

5. Re: Prioritizing Free 1st Tues./Month Museums, Transportation ?s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 05:24